Is it your turn to host Thanksgiving Dinner? Find all our tips for Thanksgiving. Start with planning your Thanksgiving by using our menu planning ideas. Set in the mood with Thanksgiving Decor ideas. Then make the best Thanksgiving recipes. Don’t panic if you are hosting Thanksgiving for the first time we have easy recipes with steps to help you. We have your back! I’m not just talking turkey!
Things to consider when making Thanksgiving dinner
- How many people are coming? It’s always good to plan that ahead of time. Don’t wait until the last minute we typically get a guest list together 6-8 weeks in advance. Sending them no later than 4 weeks in advance. (asking for RSVP)
- If you will have a separate kids table? Often times we have multiple tables due to the number of guests. The youngest children sit with their parents. School-age head to their own table. We decorate it with fun stuff to occupy them until dinner is served.
- How much food to cook? We answer this below and share chart resources.
- How many drinks will you need for Thanksgiving? Also on the chart below and all the drink recipes, we like to make.
- Will you serve a traditional Thanksgiving dinner or a mix of traditional and non-traditional food?
- Should you serve appetizers? Yes! If you have family coming early you can always ask them to bring an appetizer. Help is good. Don’t do it all yourself! Especially if you are feeding a crowd on turkey day.
- What if someone asks to bring a dish? (YES! LET THEM menu planning and delegating will make Thanksgiving dinner stress free!)
- Desserts aren’t just about pumpkin pie. We share plenty of dessert ideas for after dinner too. Scroll down the page.
What is the best way to prepare for Thanksgiving dinner?
In this post: How to Rock Your Holidays Like a Boss! We cover planning basics, helpful kitchen tools, cooking tips.
Be Successful, less stressed and delegate with the Thanksgiving Meal Planning Printables (Meal Planner Ebook + bonus Weekly Planning Sheet) Use code turkey time to get $4.99 off! For a limited time! Pin and any of the ideas, recipes, and resources below to help you host Thanksgiving. We hope this will help you stay organized, stress-free and have the best Thanksgiving yet!
My daughter Krissy and I are team Thanksgiving. We are the two that plan our big family gatherings and party meal plans. Since I will be back east this year right until the day before Thanksgiving I made a 10 page Thanksgiving Dinner Meal Planner. I put a lot of work to make sure we had everything we need for planning. Now you can get it too. I know you are going to love using it. Download and print the Thanksgiving Planner Ebook.
It will help you plan your Thanksgiving dinner for a large group or small group. It has pages for the guest lists, menu planning lists for your dinner ideas and for pot luck dinners for Thanksgiving. There is also a shopping list printable included. Plus Bonus November Planner Printable.
Thanksgiving DIY Decorations
- 21 DIY Thanksgiving Decor Ideas
- Find more Thanksgiving and home decor ideas
- Fall Craft Ideas – crafts, DIYs and more for you and your home
If your guests are coming early serving at least a few appetizers is always a good idea. I never met a kid who could last to dinner without a snack or starter.
- 25 Must-Try Appetizer Recipes
- Roasted Bell Peppers In Olive Oil
- Broccoli Artichoke Dip is so easy to make and serve warm. Dip sliced or cut up French bread this appetizer will win over any crowd!
How do you cook a turkey?
HOW TO COOK A TURKEY
This post will take you step by step on how to cook a turkey using simple cooking techniques, and steps. Roast Turkey With Pears and Sage
- Food Safety Tips: (Steps to follow before cooking a turkey)
Canned or homemade cranberry sauce?
Hands down homemade cranberry sauce. It’s so easy to make, and only takes about 15 minutes.
What types of side dishes do you make for Thanksgiving?
Traditional Thanksgiving Recipes
- Appetizers (listed below)
- Cranberry sauce
- Mashed Potatoes
- Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Salad With Pineapple
- Green Beans
- Beet Cucumber Salad
- Salads – Listed below
- Side Dishes (Macaroni and Cheese) (Lasagna with Meat Sauce)
- Dinner rolls
- Desserts (listed below) Plus, see our baking index, treat recipes, cookie recipes, cake recipes, cupcake recipes…
- Drinks – listed below (pumpkin spice latte hot, cold and blended)
Below you can find more recipes, desserts, and drinks. Also recipes for your Thanksgiving weekend company.
How to make homemade cranberry sauce
- How to make homemade cranberry sauce Cranberry Sauce Recipe
Do you make the stuffing in the turkey?
Don’t Do it that way! Food safety changed and it’s better to make your stuffing as a side dish. (article)
We make our stuffing two ways just in a casserole dish or as stuffing balls placed in the casserole dish. Which looks super pretty on a plate.
- How to make Stuffing Stuffing With Sausage and Sage
Our favorite side dishes are Mashed Potatoes and Baked Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallows. We will update you with images soon.
Side Dishes for Thanksgiving
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese (I hope to update these images soon!)
- Our family favorite Lasagna Easy Homemade Lasagna With Meat Sauce
15 Thanksgiving Side Dishes
15 Thanksgiving Side Dishes to make!
Non-traditional Side Dishes
- Sweet Potato Salad With Pineapple
- Sweet Potatoes Casserole with Marshmallows (family recipe coming soon!)
- Classic Mashed Potatoes (coming soon)
- Beet Cucumber Tomato Salad (A family favorite and so easy to make and take!)
If you have a crowd with you the entire weekend you might like a variety of salad recipes to pick from.
- Tuna Salad with Champagne Dressing (You can always omit the tuna and just make the salad with champagne dressing it’s so good!)
- Grilled Chicken Salad with Ginger Dressing
- Chopped Green Salad (With or without chicken try this healthy green salad. You could even use leftover turkey on your salad.)
- Marinated Vegetable Salad
- Southwest Chopped Salad With Black Beans, Corn and Avocado
- Italian Chicken Pasta Salad
How much to make for Thanksgiving dinner?
No matter how well you plan you will probably have leftovers. Knowing how to properly store your leftovers is just as important as cooking your food properly.
- 14 Easy Must-Try Sangria Recipes
- 10 Pretty Processo Drink Recipes
- 18 Iced Coffee Drinks to Make at Home
- 14 Fruit Infused Water Drinks
- Fall Coffees
- Starbucks Secrets To Help You Save
- Easy Ideas For Holiday Drinks
- Hot Chocolate Topping Ideas And Drink Recipes
- The Ultimate List of Pumpkin Recipes
- Pumpkin Spice Recipes
- 15 Pumpkin Cheesecake Recipes
- The Best Apple Dessert Recipes
- The Best Pumpkin Muffins
- Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Muffins
- Apple Crisp with a savory twist, which is optional.
- Treat Recipes
- Baking Recipes
Mini Pumpkin Pies
Mini Pumpkin Pies – Make this recipe for mini pumpkin pies in just about 1 hour. It’s so tasty and these mini pumpkin bites taste just like classic pumpkin pie!
Throwing a last-minute Thanksgiving dinner?
Non-traditional Thanksgiving dinner options that are ready in less time
What to feed your Thanksgiving guests for breakfast?
- Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Sandwich
- Southwest Quinoa and Eggs Breakfast Bowl
- Mushroom Quiche
- Broccoli Mushroom Quiche + Entertaining Tips
- Easy Breakfast Enchiladas
- 27+ Healthy Breakfast Ideas (Paleo) + more
- 30-minute Homemade Granola Recipe
- Homemade Granola Bars Recipe And How to
- Easy Breakfast Snack Cookies
We will be updating this page often! Be sure to pin it and subscribe as we add to the Thanksgiving ideas.
- New here? Be sure to subscribe
- Pin it for later
Follow us on Pinterest
Looking for more Thanksgiving ideas?