Today I am sharing How To Cook A Rib Eye Roast. It is one cut of beef we love cooking for dinners for special occasions, birthdays, Christmas, New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. This rib eye roast recipe always comes out like perfection, it is easy to prepare and cook. The best part is that it is so delicious.
Looking for something else? Here’s where you can find all our recipes.
The boneless rib eye or bone-in rib eye cut isn’t much different for prepping and cooking. There will be a variation of the overall cook time but, we have linked to a guide to help you get the proper cook times. This is one delicious roast beef everyone enjoys! We try to cook Rib Eye a few times a year. It has a melt in your mouth taste when prepared right. This dinner idea is very flavorful and can be served with a variety of sides. Our favorites are mashed potatoes and any vegetable that is in season.
How to Cook A Rib Eye Roast
How To Cook A Rib Eye Roast Bone In
Rib eye roast cooking time
This depends on how rare you want your meat to be. You also need to remember that when you rest your meat before slicing it that it will finish cooking a bit more. 3-pound to 4-pound Medium Rare: 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours 135°F (small end) Medium: 1-3/4 to 2 hours 145°F
- Rare 14-15 minutes per pound
- Medium Rare 15-20 minutes per pound (our preference)
- Well Done 20-30 minutes per pound
Here is a PDF for beef roasting guidelines per pound. I think you will find it helpful. It has guidelines for cooking boneless Rib Eye Roast and Rib Eye Roast Bone In.
- Rib Eye Roast (or) Rib Eye Roast Bone In
- 1/4 cup of Olive Oil
- Garlic Cloves (6-8 peeled and chopped)
- Thyme (fresh)
- Rosemary (fresh)
- 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
- Cremini Mushrooms (washed and cut in half) – reserve until step 8
- 1 White or Yellow Onion (peeled and quartered) – reserve until step 8
How to Cook Rib Eye Roast
- Take the roast out of the fridge. Remove from the package and salt the (rib-eye) beef. Wrap it with saran wrap. Let it rest covered in salt, with saran wrap at least for 1 hour on the countertop.
- Prepare your remaining ingredients and add them to a bowl. (reserve mushroom and onions if using- instructions in step 8) Mince your garlic and herbs as finely as you like! The image makes them look chunkier than they were.
- Mix and spread onto your roast right before cooking.
- Lay Rib Eye Roast flat side down onto an oiled cast-iron skillet or another roasting pan.
- Pre-heat oven to 450-500 degrees (depending on what heat your skillet or pan can go up to) When ready, add prepared roast into the oven and cook for 15 minutes. Then drop heat!
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and finish cooking the rib eye roast uncovered. (if your roast is larger, or over 8 pounds you can loosely cover the roast halfway through your cook time if outside is getting too browned).
- Cook until desired using the guidelines (rare, medium, well done).
- Optionally, add prepared mushrooms cut in half and 1 quartered onion to the side of the roast to cook alongside. I added these vegetables after the roast had cooked about an hour.
- When the Rib Roast is to the correct temperature, set it onto a cutting board to rest for 15 minutes prior to cutting.
Our rib eye roast with bone-in was 4 pounds. I expected it done in about 80 minutes but, added an additional 10. Making the cooking time 1-1/2 hours. I tested it with a meat thermometer, straight in the center of the roast.
By the time I was taking photos of the cooked roast it was gloomy and dark and the indoor lighting was less than, but I can tell you it looked so good and tasted AMAZING!
Rib Eye Roast Recipe
What do you like to cook for special occasions?
- New here? Be sure to Subscribe
- Follow us on Pinterest
- Pin it for Later
- Dinner Recipes Pinterest
- Follow us on Instagram
Beef roast recipes we found you might enjoy cooking!
- Today’s Rib Eye recipe was adapted from this Prime Rib recipe.
- This is a similar recipe for how to cook a Prime Rib Roast (video)
- Southern Beef Rib Eye Roast (video)
If you liked today’s recipe you might enjoy these beef recipes for dinner