Are you looking for an Old Fashioned Apple Crisp recipe? This apple crisp has oatmeal, and a twist with the addition of half a cup of granola to give it a bit of crunch (but, you can omit this if you rather keep it a traditional apple crisp. This is so good when topped with ice cream. I love autumn and apples, really what’s not to love about them?
Even more, I love is autumn baking with apples. I did a little searching for easy apple crisp recipes to try and decided to try my hand at creating my own version. I came up with a delicious looking one. I added a little bit of crunchy goodness to the top. Granola with dried cherries. Oh yes, oh yum!
Old Fashioned Apple Crisp
This is easy to make and takes no time at all other than peeling all the apples, plus bake time. I hope you enjoy the apple crisp recipe as much as I did and you give this apple recipe a try. Of course if you are more traditional you can easily omit the granola just make this a yummy, cinnamon apple crisp.
Grab your favorite autumn apples! Wash, peel, and slice the apples. (you can click on image below to enlarge to see steps)
Instructions for Apple Crisp with Oatmeal
- Wash, peel and slice your apples
- Add apples and dry ingredients in a big bowl
- Mix well and pour into pre-coated non-stick baking dish
- Top with any leftover in bowl dry ingredients, plus 1/2 cup of granola
- Add bits of chilled butter slices to the top of the prepared apple crisp, add here and there all around the top
- Bake at 375F degrees for 30 minutes
- Top with ice cream or cool whip
I love mine served warm just out of the oven. You can top it with ice cream in the evening but, we had it for breakfast as a weekend treat. Perfect for a fall brunch, an afternoon tea or any autumn day you want an apple crisp treat!
Oh, yes! It’s like a little bit of autumn in each bite! I added a little more butter than mentioned on the original recipe but, you can always see how it’s baking during the bake time. If you see that it is a bit dry looking add a touch more butter over the top, helping it to achieve that gooey goodness that is sure to please your autumn heart’s desire.
Apple Crisp With Granola
Autumn loving apple crisp! Perfect for any fall day. Enjoy!
Autumn Delight Apple Crisp
This is an Old Fashioned Apple Crisp Recipe - with a slight twist. It is easy to make. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or without for breakfast or brunch.
- 4-6 medium cooking apples sliced (4 cups)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup or +more butter slightly softened
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup granola with dried cherries or your favorite
- 1 9 8 x 8 baking dish
- non-stick baking spray
Heat oven to 375*
Wash, peel and slice your apples
Add apples plus, the dry ingredients in a big bowl
Mix well and pour into pre-coated non-stick baking dish
Top with any leftover in bowl dry ingredients and top with 1/2 cup of granola
Add bits of butter slices to the top here and there over the entire mixture in the baking dish
- Bake 30 minutes at 375*
- Check on the apple crisp when baking after 15 minutes. Add more butter to the top if it looks too dry halfway through.
- Let cool slightly.
- Serve with ice cream for dessert or no ice cream if this is for a breakfast or brunch.
- Adapted from this recipe: http://zipth.is/@zttb5b
Looking for dessert recipes to try?
Related Fall Baking Recipes to enjoy
- Cinnamon Bundt Cake
- Milk Dunkin Oatmeal Cookies
- Raspberry Crumble Bars
- Pumpkin Cookies
- Apple Crisp in Mason Jars