There is nothing I love more than apples. Fall is the perfect time to make an apple cake. This recipe is super easy because it’s partly hacked using a cake mix. But, we share a good yellow cake recipe too. Just in case you don’t want a short cut.
Looking for more recipes to bake? Be sure to check out our easy cake recipes.
I used to have an apple tree when I lived up north. I miss the days of apple picking, making pies, canning, and freezing. Every now and then I have to put my spin on an apple dessert. Today’s recipe is an easy apple cake. Are you ready to elevate your cake mix with the flavors of fall?
Some of my older kids favorite memories are when I would peel fresh apples, and core them out, stuffing them with brown sugar and cinnamon. Making baked apples. But, today I am sharing this apple cake with brown sugar, and cinnamon.
Basically, the yellow cake batter is your base. You may remember when I tried the Immaculate Baking Brownie Mix. I had also received a Yellow Cake Mix from them and decided to use it for this recipe.
Apple Cake Recipe
Start with a yellow cake mix
- Start with a yellow cake mix or mix up your own yellow cake recipe (yellow cake mix video how to) set to the side until needed.
How to make an apple cake
- Peel a few apples and chop them up
- In a bowl measure out a quarter cup of brown sugar, set to the side
- First, spray your pan with non-stick coating
- Slightly flour sides of the pan and shake out excess flour
- Next layer half the batter into an 8 x 8-inch pan
- You are going to add your apples into the batter
- Then sprinkle the apples with cinnamon
- Next, add the quarter cup brown sugar
- And top with the rest of the batter
You are going to bake the cake in the oven according to your recipe directions.
- During the last 20 minutes, you’ll want to check how it’s baking.
- You may have the top cooking faster than the inside.
- If so you can slightly cover with foil (tent) and continue to bake until you check the mixture with a knife and it comes out clean.
- You don’t want to over or under bake this so you’ll have to keep an eye on it.
When cooled go along edges of the pan with a knife to loosen edges and flip over onto a dish.
I decided to cover my cake with melted caramels.
I don’t have a double boiler but, I melted them slowly with a touch of water stirring until fully melted. Then I poured the melted caramel sauce over the cooled cake. When caramel frosting is cooled it is ready to serve.
- Don’t want to mess with melting caramel? You can frost your apple cake with dulce de leche.
Serve with vanilla, toasted almond or any other ice cream you think you’d enjoy with it. But, it’s delicious by itself. It had a subtle hint of cinnamon, the sweetness of brown sugar, a moist batter and delicious caramel topping.
Hello, fall dessert treat!
Cake Mix Recipe
Do you have a favorite fall cake?
- Coffee Shop Cakes Online Baking Class Good to the last crumb!
- Be sure to subscribe for all our easy baking recipes, treat recipes and dessert ideas.