Are you traveling to Central California? Or maybe you live in the area? Today I’m sharing our Top 5 fun things to do Central, California in the fall. These are some of the best travel ideas for this time of year, and fun things to do if you are a local.
All the places are close enough to Paso Robles, and San Luis Obispo to make the perfect day trips. Many of these activities are free, unless you purchase something. Other activities do charge an entrance fee, and younger kids may be free.
Many are annual activities, and events. So if you miss it this year, plan for next year. We have also added in other fun activities we have shared or done in the post to help you find something fun to do today!
Fun Things To Do
Recently we headed to Avila beach area just south of San Luis Obispo since my daughter was visiting with her family due to the fires up in our hometown. After visiting Avila Valley Barn we headed into the town of Avila beach.
Just a short drive from Avila barn you go west on the road, making a left at the stop light before heading out to highway 1. Don’t miss this stop, there are plenty of places to eat, grab a cup of coffee, get an ice cream, or sit, and sip a glass of wine while viewing the ocean.
I will be doing a separate post about the beach area. (all these photos are cell pics, I didn’t lug my big camera since we had 4 little ones with us.)
Avila Valley Barn
We started at Avila Valley Barn. Which is free to visit. Pulling in it’s set up for fall, open 9-6 weather permitting. Pumpkins every where! So many to pick from piles, or in wooden crates.
We decided to first walk the grand kids all through the area with the farm animals. You can grab a bag of veggies to feed them for a dollar, in the general store.
Pack a lunch or grab one their choices. There are affordable options, including drinks. Options such as, a hot dog for the kids, or splitting well made sandwiches, salads and more. We picked a pre made sandwich which is a cheaper alternative to the fresh made. It’s bread was super yummy, and these are big which makes them easy to share. Sorry, no pic.
- They have tractor rides after 1pm. Kids under a certain age are free. Sorry I don’t remember pricing but, it’s affordable. Ticket’s in the general store.
- Free Hay Mazes, one mini hay maze for toddlers, and pre school age (both fun for the family, and kids)
- Pony Rides, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday ($) do cost money.
You can’t help stop by the bakery. Packed with fresh fruits, veggies, and baked goods….off to the side is fresh corn roasting. Follow me on Instagram to see all our fun travels, and photos.
We found out Avila Valley Barn offers educational field trip tours, and in summer classes. The barn has once started as a 10 x 10 farm stand.
You have to try their pies. We bought two, thinking the pie is kind of pricy (about $20). But, it was just like a homemade pie without, all the work of doing it. Hello, holiday pies. We purchased their triple berry, and raspberry peach. Seriously, so good.
River K Pumpkin Patch, and Corn Maze
Free to visit. My daughter, and I have been to River K Pumpkin Patch every year since she was little. The corn maze is always a blast, they have a large field to run through, decorated for Halloween, and filled with pumpkins to pick. There are plenty of wagons to wheel your pumpkins. Hay rides, and corn maze.
Last year we visited at night. It was the first time at night, and perfect for anyone wanting a big spookier atmosphere. We didn’t go through the maze at night but, I am pretty sure you can if you bring your flash light. Subject to change.
Free to visit. Not far down the road from Paso on 790 Moss Lane in Templeton is the Chesebrough Farm.We spotted it when taking a back road down into Templeton. They have a large variety of pumpkins, and squash, including scared pumpkins. Chesebrough
- Carriage Rides October 28th, 29th 10pm-11pm.
- Tractor Pulls October 28 at 2pm. Check their website, or call to confirm dates/times, may be subject to change
Nightmare on Main Street, Templeton California
You need tickets. If you are wanting to get spooked this Halloween there is the Nightmare on Main Street, Haunted House. Tickets $10 This Halloween haunt is in a 120 year old house, and was created to give back to the local community through donations to: San Luis Obispo sheriff k-9 unit, senior scholarships, sports teams, concerts in the park, and Templeton fire, and emergency services.
- open October 27,28,30 & 31st 7-11PM
- November 3rd & 4th 7-10pm
- Lights on Tours- October 21 & 28 5-6PM
Cambria, California Scare Crow Festival
Just west off Paso Robles take Hwy.46 to Hwy. 1 to Cambria. One of our favorite beach town communities. You probably have seen my many photography posts with Moon Stone Beach. The town has people, and artist’s decorate scare crows. They are scattered throughout the town of Cambria, Harmony, and San Simeon. The scare crows are available to see from Oct. 1-31st. and, this has become an annual event. They do have events each weekend, for planning your visit. October 27-29th is Octoberfest.
Other fun kids activities in Paso Robles, and San Luis Obispo
- Paso Robles Children’s Museum (Entrance Fees, yes.)
- Estrella Warbirds Museum Open Thurs-Sunday (for more information, entrance fees)
- Charles Paddock Zoo
- more fun travel, family friendly ideas
More events, and activities in the Central Coast area
Wine tasting activities, and other activities
More travel ideas in California
- Travel Carmel, California Hofsas House Stay Not only are we sharing where we stayed but, more sites about Carmel
- Exploring Carmel, California We share some of the ins and outs about the quaint town of Carmel. Also things you can do nearby. Including our beach day, the iconic 17 mile drive and more.
- Winchester House California Historical Site If traveling in San Jose, California the Winchester Mystery House is a must stop. Winchester (the rifle mogul) This is a historical stop the home is filled with antiquities, history and a gun museum.
- Weekend Travel Style Weekender Travel Style
- Monterey, California And Monterey Bay Aquarium (part 1) Monterey And Monterey Bay Aquarium
- Monterey, California And Aquarium Plus Tips (part 2) Tips for planning your trip to Monterey Bay Aquarium
- Great America Santa Clara, California Plus Insider Tips! Great America Insider Tips for Traveling and spending the day.
- Los Osos, California And Nature Preserve Butterfly Sanctuary and Nature Preserve along the Central California Coast.
- Cayucos, California has lots of small town costal fun filled with antique stores, shops and beach with pier. There are also surf shops for rentals and learning how to surf.
- Moonstone Beach, Cambria is a favorite spot of ours for collecting rocks, shells and hiking along the beach. At certain times of year the ocean swells are too big to get down on the beach.
- San Luis Obispo, California Botanical Gardens has a park, hiking trails behind it and even camping areas. We share a few insider tips and resources for planning your trip.
Fall at the coast can be beautiful. See the items on the list 8-11 for things to do on the Central Coast.
New here? Don’t forget to subscribe! Never miss out on the fun.
What are some of your favorite fun things to do on the Central Coast?