Blueberry Coffee Cake – Need I say more? This is a heavenly dessert that is easy to make. Fresh blueberries folded into the batter, with a crumb topping then tossed in the oven to bake. If you are a fan of coffee cakes this is one blueberry cake to make over and over again. The lemon zest compliments the blueberries, the vanilla gives it a bit of sweetness. It’s easy to make and bake. Or make, bake and take.
If you are having a get together with the girls. Or need a dessert for a potluck or other function. Or maybe you just picked up or picked fresh blueberries you need to try this coffee cake with blueberries. Looking for other cakes to make? Check out all our easy cake recipes.
Summer is here! Teens, grandkids, and activities are happening at my house. What about your house? My granddaughter came to visit and it just so happened it was after Sammie and I had been blueberry picking at a local farm. So she jumped at the chance to bake with me. She loves to bake too.
She worked making the crumb topping while I made the batter packed with fresh blueberries. We made the cake in the evening and served it in the morning. But, you can serve it right after it cools.
Our visit has been packed with fun, baking and sprinkled with a few sewing lessons for her. Then a trip to the local water park with aunt Sammie. We enjoyed eating this cake for breakfast and an after-dinner dessert but, it didn’t last long.
Blueberry Cofee Cake
The recipe is packed with fresh blueberries.
Ingredients for blueberry coffee cake
- 2 to 2-1/4 cups blueberries
- half cup of softened butter
- granulated sugar
- pure vanilla extract
- lemon zest from one lemon
- flour (white all purpose)
- baking powder
- optional pinch of salt
Ingredients For Crumb Topping
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
Make the blueberry cake batter
- Cream your butter, sugar.
- Add your vanilla, eggs, and lemon zest blend until smooth
In a separate bowl
- Measure flour, baking powder, a pinch of salt
- Whisk together slowly
- Slowly add flour mixture to the cake batter
- Continue adding and mixing until combined but, don’t over mix
- Fold in the blueberries
- Add batter to a prepared baking dish (I used a glass square pyrex baking dish, it might be 9 x 9-inch)
- Set to side make and make the crumb topping.
How to make a crumb topping
- Combine 1/3 cup of golden brown sugar (light brown sugar or brown sugar will work too)
- Add half a cup of flour
- Then add 1 tsp. of ground cinnamon
- Add cold butter 4 tablespoons cut into chunks
- Cut butter with other ingredients with a dough-butter cutter until crumbly.
Add crumb mixture to the blueberry cake batter.
Bake in the oven for 40-55 minutes.
- Test your cake at 35-40 minutes. Continue baking if not fully cooked, it could take up to 50 minutes depending on altitude and temperatures that vary with ovens.
- Use a toothpick or clean knife to test if your cake is done.
- Remove from the oven and let cool when done.
This is The Best Blueberry Coffee Cake ever!
Places to pick fresh blueberries in Central California
If you are looking for something local to do to have fun try berry picking. Sammie and I went blueberry picking about 45 minutes from us. At a U-pick blueberry farm in Cambria, California we came across online. It’s called Dragon Spring Farm (It’s on the weekends in June but, check their calendar)
Do you follow me on Instagram? You might have seen me post a few pictures. Be sure to follow me there for behind the scenes and travel. It’s a beautiful drive and you can catch the road just as you enter Cambria off Main street.
The road starts out two lanes but, goes down to one lane so don’t be in a hurry. Eventually, you will get there before you know it. It’s only 4.7 miles from Hwy. 1. From Paso Robles, it’s about 45 minutes.
Everyone in the house loved this blueberry cake. We think you will love the recipe too.
- New here? Be sure to subscribe
- Pin it for Later
- Blueberry Recipes Pinterest
- Baking Recipes
- Easy Cake Recipes