We were ready for a day trip, adventure and back road travel it’s been raining a lot here, finally the sun came out. We packed up our designer backpack, filled it with our gear and headed out.
It feels like it’s been a long winter. Being cooped up is no fun, we like to be on the go and exploring places in town or in nature. On this day we had to swing by San Luis Obispo first for errands before heading to our coastal hike, which ended up being at Montana de Oro.
We didn’t go with a particular destination in mind, we just happened to be closer to there and thought, why not. (We are in California if you don’t know that) Sammie and her friends have gone on quite a few big hikes out at this state park but, it was my first time.
We love to travel. Do you? If you are planning a trip to the Central Coast, access to the park is easy. It’s about a 45 minute – hour drive from Paso Robles, California. We headed out on this road to get there; 3550 Pecho Valley Rd, Los Osos, CA 93402
The fashion backpack we took was perfect for packing our gear for the day and our hike. Thanks to American Shield Backpack for sending us one to try out.
I know a lot of my friends and family live back east. They are getting it hard. But, spring is almost here. Countdown the days to spring break, your adventures, treks and travels.
We love day trips, weekend trips and travel for fun and to meet up with family.
Next on our list; Best wild flower hiking in California. Being a nature lover, and person who loves taking nature and flower photography that’s a win for me. You can see more lifestyle, nature and travel photography on my Instagram be sure to follow me there too.
What to bring with you hiking
Always bring layers. The weather can change quickly depending on the time of day and season. It can drop as much as 40 degrees, even in summer when the sun sets. Then there is afternoon winds, and fog to consider.
Bring plenty of water, snacks, wind breakers, sunscreen, sunglasses, cell phones, hand sanitizer, a netted bag for wet or sandy clothes, wallet, keys and a camera. Don’t forget extra camera cards, and batteries for your camera. Yep, I even toss my flip flops in just in case we take a walk on the beach or my shoes get wet. Another must have is a first aid kit in the car.
No matter how long a hike is always be prepared. Do I sound like a scout or a mom? lol
PS. never leave your purse or wallet in your car. Or any valuables, just in case it was to get broken into. Another reason to have a backpack to toss it all into. How do you carry all your gear with you?
- Granite 25 Backpack from American Shield has several styles for both women and men to pick from.
Montana de Oro
We saw flocks of pelicans, vultures and sea gulls all flying in the wind on air currents. I have a few shots to edit before I show you. I really love seeing Sammie’s interest in nature and photography growing. When I get a new camera I want to pass this one on to her.
Montana De Oro State Park
At the coast there can be super high winds. As a matter of fact towards the end of our hike at the top it was really windy. Several times we stepped further back from the edges. Always be careful not to lose your footing. I am not sure about hiking with younger kids up there. I wouldn’t recommend it.
We almost grabbed a brochure / park hike map at one parking area but, then we headed up the road to another spot with a 3.1 mile hike. There is hiking, biking, horse trails, and camping in this 8000 acre, 7 mile of shoreline and one of the largest State Parks in California.
You can grab *(ref) brochures, maps and more information. Dogs aren’t allowed on trails or beaches here. *The exception is for Spooner’s Cove Beach. Dogs are permitted in campsites and on park roads and must be on a six-foot maximum leash held by an adult….
Caution for Parents
I would caution anyone with little kids that there are steep cliffs up at the tops of the trails of Montana de Oro. Check to see what’s safest for you, and your family. But, there are plenty of fun beach hikes, and other hiking at nature preserves close by to pack your bags for. Check out all the state parks, around the San Luis Obispo county and California coastline.
I remember having to carry Sammie down trails. In Yosemite she was fearless and had no idea what could happen if she got too close to the edge or fell at the edge of a trail.
On this hike Sammie saw a ring snake in the path that slithered off into the grass. We had big birds fly up by us, floating on the wind currents. This state park has stunning views. Find out more information about Montana de Oro State Park, California ” The Mountain of Gold”.
It was cold enough that Sammie popped on her jacket. She just got this for a snow trip yet, it’s light weight enough for around here. She was making me wish I had one. Luckily my sweater with a wind breaker was good for the day. It was in the 50’s.
Do you like photographing nature?
Or getting outdoors and enjoying nature? Or both? The views in every direction are so beautiful. What kind of back road traveling do you enjoy?
Our thoughts about the Granite 25 Backpack
We loved how easy this fashion and style backpack is to open and close. It has so many pockets 8 inside, plus external pockets and spots for water bottles, zipper closures, is fully lined, has nice padding for laptop carrying and a drawstring pull at the top inside the flap.
Comfort is important, the soft padded, adjustable shoulder straps are nice, making it comfortable to wear. Everything is well made and sturdy.
Perfect for around town, beach days, or use it for taking camera gear and hiking like we did. If you watched the video you will see how easy it is to move in, plus see how windy it was that day, bonus see the panoramic views.
At the end of the day
Are you looking for a good backpack for day tripping, hiking, commuting, college or over nighters? Or just one to add all your kid toting stuff into?
- Be sure to check out American Shield Backpack to see all the styles they offer.
Do you love chasing the sun? And traveling?
We didn’t want to hike out at dark, we packed up our gear. Then we hiked back, hopped into the car we went chasing the sun to see where it would take us. We wanted to grab a few golden hour shots and watched the sun set. We hopped over to a nature preserve in Cambria which is closer to the road we travel home. I promise to share more photos after I edit them.
- New here? Be sure to subscribe
- Subscribe to our new You Tube Channel
- Pin it for later
- Follow us on Pinterest
- Travel on Pinterest
Where are your favorite places to travel? What’s the last outdoor hike you took?
Places to See in California
- Travel Carmel, California Hofsas House Stay Not only are we sharing where we stayed but, more sites about Carmel
- Exploring Carmel, California We share some of the ins and outs about the quaint town of Carmel. Also things you can do nearby. Including our beach day, the iconic 17 mile drive and more.
- Winchester House California Historical Site If traveling in San Jose, California the Winchester Mystery House is a must stop. Winchester (the rifle mogul) This is a historical stop the home is filled with antiquities, history and a gun museum.
- Weekend Travel Style Weekender Travel Style
- Monterey, California And Monterey Bay Aquarium (part 1) Monterey And Monterey Bay Aquarium
- Monterey, California And Aquarium Plus Tips (part 2) Tips for planning your trip to Monterey Bay Aquarium
- Great America Santa Clara, California Plus Insider Tips! Great America Insider Tips for Traveling and spending the day.
- Los Osos, California And Nature Preserve Butterfly Sanctuary and Nature Preserve along the Central California Coast.
- Cayucos, California has lots of small town coastal fun filled with antique stores, shops and beach with pier. There are also surf shops for rentals and learning how to surf.
- Moonstone Beach, Cambria is a favorite spot of ours for collecting rocks, shells and hiking along the beach. At certain times of year the ocean swells are too big to get down on the beach.
- San Luis Obispo, California Botanical Gardens has a park, hiking trails behind it and even camping areas. We share a few insider tips and resources for planning your trip.
- Central Coast, California fun stuff to do during the fall, and other times of year. See our top 5 things to do in the fall on the Central Coast. These activities make the perfect day trips if you are a local. There are also many other family friendly things to do in this post that will help you discover the Central Coast of California.
- Moonstone Beach, Central California is great anytime of year with it’s walkway above on the cliffs that follow the shoreline or head down to the beach.