Switch it up on Taco Tuesday or any night of the week with the best Taco Potatoes. These stuffed potatoes with seasoned ground beef (taco meat) are the ultimate tacos in a potato. It takes about 30-minutes to make. The fun thing about this dinner is that everyone can top the potatoes the way they want to. Just like when you make and serve tacos.
Even non-cooks or novice cooks can make this, it’s that easy! Seriously, our family could eat tacos every day. What about your family? But, go here if you are looking for other recipes to try, you might like to see more ground beef recipes.
I’ve even made these for lunch for Sammie who gets home from high school. Teens sports days, early release days and our favorite late lunch/early dinners. Or serve this when you are hosting a get-together. Prep this ahead of time which equals more time for other things.
- This is my go-to taco meat recipe. If you have time you can make the taco meat from scratch, even on the same night. (This post and recipe also include step by step images too.)
- Use extra ground beef, if making the recipe and using the leftovers for these taco stuffed potatoes.
- If you make the taco meat from scratch be sure to add 30 minutes to your meal planning time and dinner will still be on done in under 1 hour.
- If you are really pressed for time you can just cook lean ground beef in a skillet, drain off any excess grease and add a packet of taco seasoning (follow the directions on the packet). Follow the step by step images below for this.
- Make Taco Bell Potatoes by using their Taco Bell seasoning packet.
This recipe is great for any day of the week because you can prep vegetables a day or night in advance stored in food containers.
What do you put on Taco Potatoes?
- seasoned ground beef
- shredded cheese
- chopped onions or scallions
- chopped red bell peppers
- chopped black olives
- chopped onions (white or yellow)
- sour cream
- salsa or taco sauce
- plus anything you want 😉
Other supplies and groceries you will need for this 30-minute meal!
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (for up to 4 servings) double if serving more people
- If making homemade taco meat( see the recipe ) to make this from scratch, and add just a few more ingredients to your grocery list. This taco meat recipe can easily be adapted.
Potatoes Stuffed With Seasoned Ground Beef (Taco Meat)
Again, you can make the taco meat recipe from scratch or by using a packet. That is why this recipe is great for dinner any night of the week! I can’t wait to make more versions of this recipe. Be sure you subscribe so you don’t miss them!
Taco Meat Recipe
How to cook ground beef for tacos (and stuffed tacos)
- Follow this recipe for the ground beef taco meat (ground beef taco meat recipe) then stuff your tacos, by making your potatoes according to today’s recipe. Or use the quick and easy directions below by using a taco seasoning packet.
How to cook ground beef for tacos with a taco seasoning packet.
- Place your lean ground beef in a slightly warmed skillet.
- Cook over medium heat while stirring occasionally.
- Shut off the stove when done.
- Drain off any excess grease into a can to be thrown out. (By using a lean ground beef will eliminate much of that!)
- Add your seasoning packet, following the directions on your seasoning packet. (they usually have you add water, mix and cook a bit longer with the ground beef on the stove)
- When this is done, cover your skillet until you are ready to stuff the potatoes with the ground beef
Bake the potatoes after your meat is cooked if using a microwave, or about 40 min. up to one hour minutes before you start cooking if using the oven to bake them.
- Wash and scrub the outside skin of the potatoes well, before baking them. (get all the dirt off the outside skin of the potato)Pat them dry with a paper towel. Prick each potato with a fork. (this helps keep them from exploding)
- Microwave your potatoes according to your microwave setting for potatoes, until cooked tender but not mushy. I have a potato setting on my microwave. I use bigger sized potatoes for this. If you use smaller ones be sure not to overcook them.
- If you don’t have a microwave you can bake them in the oven on 400 degrees until fully baked. Test the potatoes by taking a fork and pricking them. When the potatoes can be easily forked in the center, this shows they are done. Potatoes typically can take 30-40 minutes in the oven.
- Remove the cooked baked potatoes with hot pads.
- Set them onto a cutting board.
- Slice the potatoes open halfway leaving each end not all the way cut.
- Use a fork or knife to cut the inside of the potatoes (smash or cubed) this makes it easy to be eaten when stuffed.
- Now layer your cooked taco meat onto the potatoes!
- Then add the toppings you enjoy eating! Top garnishes like shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro…
Dig into these taco potatoes! Enjoy!
Are you like me? You might wonder why you never made potatoes stuffed with a taco filling before. Yummy!
- Did you like today’s recipe? You might like trying this easy dinner idea for
- A cookbook we reviewed and enjoy using, it’s available to purchase on Amazon (Taco Taco Taco). Just in case you love tacos every day of the week!
Who is having tacos for dinner? Not making this recipe tonight? Don’t forget to pin it!
Looking for more recipes for the week? Or Taco Recipes?
- Check out all our quick and easy 30-Minute Meals.
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- Smothered Chicken Tacos
- Chicken Stuffed Peppers
- How To Make Stuffed Peppers
- Chicken Fajitas 30-minute meal
- Mexican Chicken Casserole
- Fish Tacos
- Ground Beef Tacos
- Ground Beef Recipes