Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe -Easy to make. Flavorful and perfect for seasoning tacos, meats (beef, and chicken), and fish!
I prefer to make homemade taco seasoning vs. store-bought. It is really easy to make and you probably have all the spices in your pantry. Have you made taco seasoning mix at home?
Why make it yourself? Taco seasoning is quick to mix together. It is budget-friendly to make. It is easy to store the taco seasoning in an airtight container.
Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe
Get ready to make taco seasoning at home. This easy recipe will save you time pulling out all the jars of spices to make your taco dinners and other Mexican recipes. See how easy it is to make this taco spice mix at home!
Affiliate links may be included in the post. By clicking the links for qualifying purchases we earn a small commission. This is at no additional cost to you.
Ingredients For Taco Seasoning:
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
Optional ingredients to add: Add 1 teaspoon ground coriander (dried cilantro/Chinese parsley – it has a mild flavor, earthy, and with a hint of citrus). And if you like spicy taco seasoning add additional red pepper flakes and 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (or a little more to your taste preference).
To make homemade mild taco seasoning – reduce the black pepper to 1 teaspoon. Or use white pepper it’s milder and has a more delicate flavor. And omit the crushed red pepper flakes and reduce the amount of cumin.
Kitchen Hack – If you don’t keep crushed red pepper flakes in the pantry but order pizza. Pick up a few of the red pepper packets to use for this recipe when you get pizza. If you have smoky paprika (adds a robust, smoky aroma and flavor)or sweet paprika (adds a mild, sweet flavor) you can use it in this recipe. It will change the flavor profile slightly based on the type of paprika you use.
Kitchen Supplies for making taco seasoning
This is such an easy taco seasoning recipe and perfect for beef, chicken, fish, and other recipes that you use taco seasonings in.
How-To Make Taco Seasoning
- Get your spices from the pantry.
- Combine the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Stir the spices together (slowly) with a measuring spoon.
- Use a funnel (Or make a funnel from a coffee filter) to add the taco seasoning mix into the airtight container (I repurpose an empty spice jar to store the taco seasoning).
- Use the taco seasoning mix to make ground beef tacos, chicken tacos, fish tacos or chili…
Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
How-To store taco seasoning? How long to store taco seasoning?
Store unused amounts in an air-tight container like these for up to 6 months.
How-To use this recipe for taco seasoning
Use 2 – 3 tablespoons per pound of ground beef or chicken (use more or less according to your taste preferences). This can be used in your favorite Mexican recipes as well.
This taco seasonings recipe has less salt and no artificial additives or preservatives. Which makes it a healthy alternative to packaged taco mixes.
Double or triple the recipe for larger batches.
- New here? Be sure to Subscribe. Grab our bonus printable recipe binder and cooking resources. Plus, never miss a post with our newsletter!
- Don’t forget to Pin it for Later
- Follow us on Pinterest
- Shop our favorites on Amazon
Related Recipes To Make – Taco Recipes
Use the taco seasonings for any of these recipes!
- Ground Beef Tacos
- My favorite ground beef tacos recipe!
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Steak Tacos
- Taco Potatoes