Are you looking to elevate your chicken potato casserole? Spice up your dinners? We have a winner! Mexican Chicken Casserole. What makes this oven-baked dinner a winner? (oh, that kind of rhymes) lol First off it’s easy to assemble, you can make it ahead of time, if you have leftovers it’s easy to reheat the casserole, best of all it’s DELICIOUS!
You know when I make my easy chicken dinners I get a stamp of approval or not from my daughter. Who may be a contender for becoming a food critic one day! HA! (Hope she doesn’t read this, I love this girl but, man she can be PICKY.)
MEXICAN CHICKEN CASSEROLE
Now this chicken casserole can be as spicy as you want it to be. If you like spiciness to your foods go with jalapenos. Not a fan of spicy food no problem, just swap out the jalapenos for mild diced chilies or leave them out altogether. Winner, winner you still have a great chicken dinner. (Oh gosh, am I on a roll or what?)
When you think Mexican Chicken Casserole, you may be thinking enchilada sauce, tortilla chips, saucy, spicy or even enchiladas. Maybe next time, this casserole is not really any of those, well except mildly spicy and full of flavor, and a bit creamy, that is. Think chicken meets jalapeno poppers, in a good way! I promise I’ll be making more Mexican chicken casseroles because I found out my family LOVES these casseroles. The perk for me is they are easy to make!
If you are looking for enchilada casseroles you might like these recipes
- Cheesy Veggie Enchiladas
- Slow Cooker Chicken (to be used for Chicken Enchiladas)
- Or you can use this Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos for enchiladas
- Pork Enchiladas
Let’s get cooking this easy dinner idea.
What you will need to cook this Mexican Chicken Bake
- 1-1/2 lb. Chicken (cut up, boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
- Baby potatoes 1 bag (wash and cut in half)
- 1 Red bell pepper and green bell pepper
- 1 Onion (white or yellow) Note: yellow onions are sweeter and milder.
- Garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeno ( optional) or diced green mild chilies or omit them
- 1/2 cup green onions
- 4 ounces of cream cheese
- Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend
- Pam cooking spray
- Garlic Powder
How to Cook Mexican Chicken Casserole
- If the chicken isn’t pre-cut, get a cutting board and cut your chicken. It’s easy with a good knife.
- Next, on a clean cutting board chop and cut your washed potatoes, bell peppers, and jalapeno (seeding the jalapeno it makes it less spicy).
- Mince your garlic.
- Peel and chop your onion, mince your green onions.
- Add the ingredients to a presprayed baking dish.
- Assemble the chicken casserole.
- Bake as directed below.
How to assemble the chicken potato casserole
- Pre-spray the baking dish.
- Add the uncooked chicken to the baking dish.
- Tuck in the potatoes and onion around the chicken.
- Salt, Pepper and add a dash of Garlic Powder to the chicken and potatoes.
- Top with the garlic, bell peppers and jalapeno (or the mild green chilies peppers).
- Add paprika and a small dash of cumin to the top of the entire dish.
- Top with 2-4 ounces cream cheese cut up into little cubes or use fingers to pull off chunks (if pre-softened it will melt better).
- The final layer is adding shredded Mexican Cheese Blend (This type of product usually comes in a 3-4 blend of cheeses).
Bake in the oven covered for 30-40 minutes in a preheated oven at 400 degrees.
- I just shake the paprika on over the ingredients but, if you need measurements it is probably about 1-2 tsp. paprika and 1/2 tsp. cumin.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil prior to baking. This will keep everything from drying out!
- Cook until the proper chicken’s internal temperature is reached. Min. of 165 degrees internal temperature. After this is reached and the potatoes are tender your chicken casserole is done!
Mexican Chicken Casserole Recipe
Mexican Chicken Bake
- New here be sure to Subscribe
- Pin it for Later
- Follow us on Pinterest
- Casseroles Pinterest
- Easy Chicken Recipes
Looking for other casseroles or chicken recipes to try?
One of our most popular chicken casseroles is our Autumn Chicken Casserole. I made this so long ago but, everyone loves it!
- Mexican Stuffed Peppers This recipe is vegetarian but, packed with flavor and easy to adapt.
- Pork Enchiladas
- Slow Cooker Tacos I use this for making enchiladas and the chicken meat for other casseroles too.
- Pressed for time try our skillet Chicken Fajitas.
- See all our chicken recipes!