Do you like tacos? Today’s recipe is for Instant Pot Chicken Tacos. Making chicken tacos in the instant pot doesn’t get any easier than this! This is one of the first instant pot recipes I made when I got mine.
I decided to try out my new Instant Pot by converting my favorite chicken tacos recipes for the instant pot. I’ll be adding this to our meal plan rotation, line up, and can’t wait to convert our other easy chicken recipes. If this dinner idea isn’t for you try one of these;
- Crockpot Chicken Tacos (a favorite) So easy to make! For the sides boxed or homemade Mexican rice, and salad to complete your meal.
- Easy Smothered Chicken Tacos is an easy chicken recipe that is Mexican-inspired. The chicken is spiced and cooked in a skillet, making a great chicken tacos stove-top recipe.
If you are busy and need to get dinner on in a hurry this is the best chicken tacos to try. You can prep your veggies, and toppings while it’s cooking. We love having chicken tacos with an avocado topping. Do you?
Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
If you don’t have an Instant Pot yet you can try our Crockpot (start cooking 4 hours early) – Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos, or our Smothered Chicken Tacos where we share our homemade chicken taco seasoning and how to cook chicken in a skillet. This is another quick, easy recipe you can make in under 30 minutes.
I didn’t know anyone with an Instant Pot but, heard from one of my daughters that she knows a few moms that loved theirs. I asked her when I was on the fence about whether I should get one. I decided to hop on the train since my crockpot is older and I wanted to see what all the excitement was about pressure cookers. I have to say I am glad I did!
Mine is the 6 quart, 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker, and Warmer. I considered the smaller size since there are only three of us but, when we all get together I would need a larger one, and what if I was meal planning and was cooking for freezing. I am so glad I got the bigger one!
There is a line to show you where not to go over with your ingredients. This shredded tacos recipe is the first meal I made with my Instant Pot. It was super easy, so let me show you how to make these tacos. I made this in the early evening it’s been so hot here nobody wants to eat early. Do you have an Instant Pot yet?
How to Make Chicken Tacos in the Instant Pot
You’ll add the chicken, broth, sauces, and spices and like magic, it will be done in 15 minutes. But, give yourself enough time to release the pressure and prep. I’d say this can be done in overall 30-45 minutes depending on if your chicken is frozen or not.
Instant Pot Chicken Tacos Recipe
- NOTE: New Owners Read over your Instant Pot manual
- 3 large chicken breasts (boneless skinless)
- medium salsa (1 cup or half a jar)
- 1 small can of salsa de jalapeno (optional)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 2-3 fresh crushed garlic cloves
- salt (to taste or dash)
- pepper 1 teaspoon
- oregano 2 tablespoons
- onion (peeled and chopped only use half, reserve the other half for the avocado topping recipe later in the post) (Pick either white is spicer or yellow is sweeter)
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro (optional)
Steps for how to make chicken tacos in the instant pot
- Add your chicken, chicken broth, and spices to your Instant Pot stainless steel insert.
- Make sure your air release valve is in the proper position.
- Seal Lid. (the lid makes a little sound when done properly)
- Program it to Chicken according to your manual (Poultry setting) 12 minutes fresh, 15 minutes for frozen.
- When the Instant Pot is done cooking the chicken, it will count down for releasing pressure. (Release pressure according to directions prior to opening)
- AFTER VENTING is complete, open the lid and take your chicken out to shred or cut it up for your tacos.
You are going to love how tender this chicken is!
It’s really easy to shred or chop your chicken when the chicken is finished cooking. Adjust the seasonings to your preference. Additionally, you can make this homemade taco seasoning recipe to use in this recipe or your other taco recipes.
I made a second batch, and cut it up for our chicken tortilla soup, and enchiladas recipes. Excuse my messy counters. Sammie was growing a dinosaur from an egg in a taco bell cup and I was just too lazy to clean it for the photo. Real life, wink, wink.
How to make the avocado cilantro topping for tacos
- 1/4 cup Cilantro (wash and chopped)
- 1 Avocado (peeled and pitted)
- Greek Yogurt (unflavored)
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
- 1 garlic clove (peeled and crushed)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- chopped onion for topping (1/2 peeled and chopped) This is optional, and not in Cilantro Dressing, unless you want it in there.
Place avocado in a bowl and mash with a fork. Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and mix together until blended.
- The avocado cilantro topping was adapted from a recipe for Creamy Cilantro Dressing in this awesome taco recipe book, “Taco, Taco, Taco” I had the chance to review for free. I’m sure I’ll make more recipes from it so stay tuned by subscribing.
Serve your tacos on heated corn tortilla or fried corn tortillas. I heat mine 6 at a time by adding them to a plate (microwavable) cover them with a paper towel sprinkled with water (lightly) for about 1-2 minutes on high.
Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
In a hurry? Make this Instant Pot Chicken Tacos. Flavorful, easy to make great in your tacos and can use this recipe for making chicken burritos too. Comes with an avocado cilantro topping.
- 3 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 cup Salsa Pace (or half the jar)
- 1 can Salsa de Jalapeno small
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 dash Salt
- 2 tbsp Oregano
- 1 Onion Peeled and chopped reserve half for topping.
- 1/4 cup Cilantro Rinsed and chopped.
Avocado Cilantro Topping
- 1 Avocado Peeled, Seeded and mashed with fork
- 1/4 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Lime Cut, Seed and Squeeze
- 1/2 Onion Optional
- 1/4 cup Cilantro Rinsed and Chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove Peeled and Crushed
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
Add chicken to stainless steel insert in the instant pot.
Add broth, salsas, and spices Next add your chopped onion, crushed garlic, and cilantro.
Cook according to your Instant Pot manual 12 minutes on Poultry for fresh, 15 minutes on Poultry for frozen.
When done let the pressure release off to ensure all pressure is gone by releasing your pressure valve.
Remove chicken and chop up or shred on your cutting board.
Assemble the tacos on corn tortillas that are either pre heated or fried.
Take the heated torilla, then add shredded chicken meat, next add toppings and serve.
How to Make Avocado Topping
Make topping by Peeling, seeding, and mashing avocado with a fork. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well. If desired use a food processor. Set to side while tacos are cooking.
- Make optional avocado topping while chicken tacos are cooking to garnish your tacos.
- Serve on corn tortillas warmed or pre fried. Or you can use flour tortillas for soft tacos.
- Dinner can be made with a side of Spanish rice or salad. Best to start rice prior to making chicken or at the same time.
Then top with your chicken, avocado cilantro topping and onions. Enjoy!
- New here? Be sure to subscribe You get a free printable recipe binder set with meal planning sheets, and grocery lists…
- Pin it for Later
How often do you make chicken tacos?
If you liked this recipe you might like:
- Easy Chicken Chili Mac Recipe (30 minute recipe) This is a healthy version of a chili mac recipe, and a one pan dish.
- Find more Easy Chicken Recipes
- Instant Pot Recipes