Do you want to make a craft project for St. Patrick’s Day? Make this St. Patrick’s Day Craft Idea. Make a mixed media canvas art project. Perfect for spring, and your celebrations. It’s a little bit artsy, and a little bit crafty. Typically, I create banners and hang them on the mantle for seasonal holidays or celebrations. But, I thought to myself, why not paint a canvas and add mixed media elements to it for this spring holiday. I wanted to make this spring decor DIY to sit on my mantle. Are you ready to paint and craft your own spring project?
Looking for other ideas to make? You might like to see all our spring craft ideas.
Since St. Patrick’s Day and Spring are so close together I thought I would create a mixed media canvas and make a spring banner later. Today I thought I’d share how you can create one for yourself too. You don’t have to be an artist to break out the paints to create this DIY mixed media decor. I share where you can pick up stencils for the clover and butterflies below. Mine were hand-drawn.
DIY Mixed Media Canvas
Mixed Media Canvas for St. Patrick’s Day
If this isn’t the craft project you want to make, here’s where you can find all our St. Patrick’s Day Crafts
I will share a small supply list at the end and share how easy it is to make one if you’d like to create something unique for your home to set or hang somewhere.
How to decorate the canvas with mixed media
- The first thing you will need to purchase a prepared a 5-inch x 5-inch canvas with 1.5 to 2-inch thickness. Already stretched and with gesso.
- If your canvas is not pre-prepped you’ll want to gesso the canvas.
- If you aren’t a painter, gesso is a basic white base paint that is thick and coats the canvas keeping it from soaking up your decorative acrylic paints.
- You must let it dry before laying on your acrylic paint.
- You can speed up the drying process with a heat gun if needed.
I used acrylic paints for this. There are many to pick from at your local Micheals Crafts Store, hobby shops or Amazon. Blue, Green, White, and Black. On the sides, I painted with black chalk paint.
How do you add paint to canvas? How do you make a mixed media canvas design?
- First I painted a couple of background colors of both blue and green muting them with paintbrush strokes using a damp brush.
- Painting and blotting with paper towels.
- Next, paint the sides of the canvas with the black chalk paint.
- Use white or colored chalk to write Spring. You can also use chalk pens to write on chalk.
- I allowed parts to flow onto the front of the canvas.
- Let that dry while you get out any scrapbook papers, dried flowers or other paper elements you may want to cut or glue onto the canvas.
- Then grab your favorite glitters. Mine, Martha Stewart’s Glitter Set. Brilliant, fine and oh, so pretty!
- At this point, I pencil sketched lightly the shape of the four-leaf clover and butterfly. You can use templates for painting them, find them here: four-leaf clover and butterfly.
- Let that dry completely before you glue on glitter and your mixed media elements.
- Next, glue any other elements you want to the canvas and let them dry.
- You can even use oil pastels for outlining your designs after the paint is dry on your canvas.
I wasn’t worried about perfection or accuracy this is supposed to be fun here! Paint from your heart and not your head.
- Use your glitter, white and black paint for accenting and highlighting. Or pastels.
- Lastly, take chalk and write your favorite St. Patrick’s Day quotes and Spring sayings.
Mixed Media is a great way to get introduced to creating art. Since this is a small canvas I didn’t layer on too much.
Be sure to step back during the working process and look at your work from different angles and distances.
- Art Alternatives 5 x 5-inch Pre-Stretched Studio Canvas (Pack of 5 Canvasses)
- Liquitex BASICS Gesso Surface Prep Medium, 16-oz
- Martha Stewart Crafts Satin Paints 18-Pack, Bright
- K&Company Brenda Walton Flora & Fauna Die-cut Cardstock and Vellum
- Mod Podge CS11302 Original 16-Ounce Glue, Matte Finish
- This set is a great starter set student grade and inexpensive, bristle and natural hair Loew Cornell 1018 Brush Set, AP 15-Piece Wood Handle
- This is a good nylon bristle set Art Brush Set-10 Piece Golden Nylon-Short Handle-Nickel Plated Brass Ferrule-Acrylic And Watercolor Artist Paint Brushes-High Quality-Wash-Flat-Liner-Round-Filbert-Angular-Easy to Clean-Wash with Warm Water-Brush Hairs Hold Shape-Wood Handle
- Scissors listed below and why
- Foam Brushes for gluing
I paint with both natural hair brushes and nylon. No reason to spend a ton of money on paint brushes unless you paint all the time and not for a hobby. With a basic brush set, you can use them over and over for projects.
Pro Tips: Use the brushes, rinse in water and keep them out of the water when not in use by laying them on your workspace. When you are completely done wash gently in warm soapy water, rinse, let dry and store with handles down in a container and brush ends up.
When purchasing craft paint quality does matter. Cheap craft paint is usually is runny. I just shared one brand but, brands like Folkart, Delta, Craft are other good basic acrylic paints good for this type of project. I’ll talk about my all-time favorite for my journaling and canvas work another day.
My favorite craft small scissors these are perfect for detail cutting EK Success Cutter Bee Precision-Cut Scissors And for larger cutting scissors I prefer using Fiskars 175800-1002 8-Inch Razor-Edge Softgrip Bent Scissors
I hope this helps you create a mixed media painting! Be sure to share it at my weekly party if you make one.
Do you do painting projects? What kind are they?