This lemon cake recipe is one recipe you will want to make over and over again. Enjoy its citrusy flavors and moist texture, glaze plus the sweetness from the powdered sugar. It’s not too sweet or tart. This lemony cake is one of our favorite cakes made from scratch.
Why make it over and over? It’s easy to make, uses simple ingredients, and has a fresh lemon glaze drizzled on top. Looking for something else to bake? See all our easy cake recipes.
The recipe is so easy to make! Use a 9″ round baking pan. The recipe is for a one-layer cake. The lemon cake is topped with a lemon glaze. Then sprinkled with powdered sugar. You are sure to enjoy all the citrusy flavors as you bite into this moist cake!
The post content may contain affiliate links. By clicking on these links and then purchasing something through them we earn a small commission, at no added cost to you.
Lemon Cake Recipe
- The cake is easy to make. Follow the instructions in the recipe card. Read all the recipe notes here and on the recipe card.
- When using fresh lemon juice squeeze the lemons adding the juice into a bowl, and remove the seeds. I like using a lemon juicer or lemon reamer.
- Add the lemon zest and juice just before adding the batter to the baking pan to bake.
- Drizzle lemon juice to the top of the cake. (This step is done after the cake is fully baked, cooled, and removed from the baking pan.)
- Use a pastry brush to add the juice to the cake. (Some juice may flow off the cake.)
- If you prefer to you can combine the lemon juice (1/4 c) and powdered sugar (3/4) to make the glaze as done in the original recipe.
- After the lemon juice is all soaked into the top, add the powdered sugar.
- New here? Be sure to Subscribe. Grab our bonus printable recipe binder, cooking resources, and never miss a post with our newsletter!
- Don’t forget to Pin it for Later
- Follow us on Pinterest
- Shop our favorites on Amazon
Adapted from this recipe-French Grandmother’s Lemon Cake.
Looking for more lemon recipes to make?
- Lemon Pound Cake. Use fresh lemon juice or bottled.
- Lemon Icebox Pie recipe made with an easy graham cracker crust.
- Olive Oil Sugar Cookies have a lemony citrus flavor.
- Strawberry Lemonade Crinkle Cookies
- Lemon Truffles
Not baking it now? Pin it for Later!
Looking for more things to bake?
- See all our Baking Recipes.