I love baking in the spring. Do you? I made a Lemon Pound Cake Recipe after visiting my daughter who had fresh lemons on her tree. Big, juicy lemons that were perfect for making recipes like lemon bread.
Looking for other recipes to make? See all our quick bread recipes.
It doesn’t have to be spring to be baking or making a lemon loaf though. Trust me, you know Starbucks is onto that! Seriously, if you are craving lemon pound cake you have to try making it yourself. Who doesn’t love a tasty, lemony bread with their coffee?
Lemon Pound Cake Recipe
This recipe is easy to make and bake. The hardest part is waiting for the lemon loaf to cool before cutting it. Of course, if you don’t have fresh lemons you can purchase bottled lemon juice for the recipe.
Baking supplies you will need to make this recipe
- loaf pan
- either a hand mixer or electric stand mixer
- measuring cups
- mixing bowls
- lemon zester
- lemon squeezer but, if you don’t you can juice the lemons by hand and pick out the seeds.
- baking spatula
Baking Tips for quick bread
- Pre-prep your loaf pan by coating it with nonstick spray and adding flour then shake out the excess flour. This way the batter doesn’t sit too long after mixing and you can pour it into your prepared pan.
- Don’t add excess juice/liquids to the batter. When the batter has too much liquid it can cause the center to sink a bit. This can also be caused by an undercooked batter.
- You want to make sure to use a party toothpick or clean knife to check the center of the bread during the last bit of cooking time to ensure it comes out clean when inserted. This is when your lemon bread is done.
- Do not over bake the bread, it can cause the loaf to become dried out!
- You can store your quick bread in the refrigerator up to one week (covered) and you can freeze them up to 3 months with stored properly (freezer bags) after cooling completely. Defrost in the fridge overnight.
- Take out your eggs and have them at room temperature.
- Always read through the recipe and recipe notes before making the recipe.
- The best method for cooling is in the pan, then on a baking rack.
Before starting the recipe –
- Gather all your baking supplies and ingredients.
- Be sure to set out your eggs, butter, and sour cream ahead of time.
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- lemons fresh lemons (2) or ( bottled lemon juice)
- vanilla extract
- sour cream
- flour (all-purpose)
- baking powder
- baking soda
- For this recipe, you will want to also remove the butter and sour cream out of the refrigerator early. Along with the eggs giving them time to be at room temperature. Measure out the sour cream you need for the recipe, set it out and put the rest back in the fridge.
How To Make Lemon Pound Cake
- Add your white sugar and butter together cream them until fully light and creamed. (this can take up to 2-3 minutes) Be sure to stop the mixer, stir the bottom and restart the creaming until fluffy.
- Then crack your 3 eggs into a separate bowl one by one making sure they are ok, then add each into the mixer bowl. Before moving on, make sure they are mixed well with the creamed butter and sugar.
- Next mix in, 3 tablespoons of lemon zest and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, add your measured flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix it by hand with a fork or whisk.
- Mix the vanilla and sour cream together in a small bowl.
- Now, alternate the flour mixture and sour cream mixture adding it and mixing it in the bowl.
- When all is combined and mixed together pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 325 degrees for about 45-55 minutes.
- Test the bread 10 to 15 minutes during the last part of baking it. When a clean knife or toothpick is inserted to the center and comes out clean it is done!
- Let cool at least 15-20 minutes before you can carefully run a butter knife around the edges of the pan, and turn your loaf onto a cooling rack or cutting board to finish cooling.
- When the lemon pound cake is fully cooled, it is ready to slice and eat or glaze, slice and ready to eat.
- Print the recipe for Lemon Pound Cake
- Plus access to our exclusive library for printables…
- Follow us on Pinterest
- Baking Pinterest
- Baking Recipes
- Quick Bread Recipes
Related Quick Bread Recipes you might enjoy!