I wanted to update you on one of the soup recipes from my Meal Plan Monday that I adapted years ago. I made Chicken Tortilla Lime Soup, which is one of Rachel Ray’s recipes from way back. Her version us called Mexican Chicken Lime Soup. It is an easy one pot meal. Then just add all the toppings to your soup before serving or at the table for topping.
The changes I made for this Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe were simple, and noted below. What I loved about this soup recipe is that it is a one pot meal, and easy to make.
Finally I am getting around to updating these original photos. Sometimes it’s good to revisit a post or recipe. We have several versions of tortilla soup that we love. As my daughter has gotten older she loves the spicer soups. But, since this is using milder chilies peppers it’s not overly spicy. If you want to spice it up you can by adding jalapenos.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
I followed Rachel Ray’s recipe only making a few changes.
- I didn’t add the 2 chilies in adobo sauce. She uses canned chilies that are finely chopped, plus 2 tablespoons adobo sauce.
We always have the freshest chilies of many kinds since they are readily available since we live in Central, Ca. I used a large, fresh Pobalno chilies in place of the canned chilies.
Also my daughter prefers a green or clear broth vs red adobe sauce.
- Other changes I made were that I also reduced the garlic to four garlic cloves instead of six.
- I used one 32 ounce package of vegetable stock, and 1 8 ounce can of chicken stock. This is what I had on hand, so I mixed them both in good results.
In her recipe she uses only chicken stock, which you can use if you have it on hand or prefer. Sometimes we had in celery, and cilantro or just cilantro. This tortilla soup will be easy for you to adapt to suit your favorite flavors or personal tastes. The soup is very filling all by itself since it’s topped with lots of yummy garnishes. Garnish it with shredded cheese, avocados, diced green chilies, corn, and tortilla chips.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 package boneless chicken breasts or chicken fillets cut up into cubes
- olive oil
- Chicken Stock 1 large box + 1 can or min. 6 cups
- cilantro chopped
- 2-3 limes quartered leave out & cut 1 only in half to juice into soup
- 2 avocados bite sized pieces
- tortilla chips
- pre shredded Mexican three cheese blend or shredded cheddar cheese
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, lower the heat to medium and cook until the onion is translucent.
Add in peppers & cook a few minutes while stirring.
Push the vegetables to the side of the pan, add the chicken and cook, stirring, until cooked on all sides.
Stir in the chicken broth & lime juice. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes,( skimming any foam if there is any)
Stir in the cilantro.
While cooking prep the garnishes.
Garnish with toppings in serving bowl
Cook time may very on size of cut up chicken.
Do you have a favorite soup recipe?
You might enjoy the original recipe: Mexican Chicken Lime Soup
You might like these related soup recipes:
- Our Favorite Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Quick and Easy Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken & Green Chilies Enchilada Soup
- Easy Gnocchi Chicken Soup
- Fresh and Healthy Corn Chowder Soup
- Hearty Vegetable Soup
- Turkey Meatball Soup
- Minestrone Soup