I have several favorite soups we make for dinner and today’s is this Hearty Vegetable Soup recipe. When it’s cold, grey and rainy outside I love making soup recipes for our family dinners.
Honestly, it’s something we enjoy all year long. In any type of weather but, especially when it’s cold or rainy. Packed full of fresh vegetables, this soup is sure to warm and fill you up.
If your a vegetarian this recipe is easily adaptable. Just use vegetable broth and leave out the meat. You’ll get the same full flavors by adding an additional teaspoon of Italian spices plus an extra can of black beans or other beans.
Hearty Vegetable Soup
Whether you create it the same as we did or leave the meat out this is one hearty dish that you’ll enjoy over and over. Easily adaptable to suit your mood, or to use up leftover pork meat or leftover chicken meat… Remember omit the meat and just have a hearty vegetarian soup.
Looking for other soups to try?
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Potato Corn Chowder
- Chicken and Dumplings
- See all our soup recipes for more
New here? Don’t forget to Subscribe plus grab a free printable recipe binder and resources for cooking.
Vegetable Soup Recipe
You can make this easy homemade vegetable soup with your favorite vegetables, meats or no meat so your family can enjoy a big bowl of soup.
- red bell pepper
- olive oil
- chicken stock (or vegetable stock if making this vegetarian soup)
- 1 can of stewed tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 can black beans drained
- 1 can corn drained
- leftover pork chops or chicken (or omit if making this soup vegetarian)
- Italian spices
- salt and pepper to taste
- pasta noodles (cooked al dente)
How to make soup from scratch?
- Wash and Chop the carrots, red bell pepper, (peel and chop) potatoes
- Peel and chop the onion
- Peel and mince the garlic
- Sautéing onions, garlic, carrots and in a little olive oil. For this recipe, I don’t recommend using celery but, that is up to you
- After a few minutes add the chicken or vegetable stock
- Add the drained corn and black beans
- Then add your spices
- If adding meat, add your leftover cut up pork or chicken. Omit the meat if making vegetarian soup.
- While the soup is cooking (until potatoes are tender) in a separate pot cook 2 cups of pasta noodles according to the directions for al dente, then rinse in cold water
- Keep the noodles separate (this keeps them from expanding) and add them to the bottom of the soup bowl
- Pour the hot soup over the noodles and let it cool slightly before eating
Easy Homemade Vegetable Soup Recipe
You can serve this vegetable soup recipe with biscuits, garlic bread or a green salad. We served ours with garlic bread.
Need a soup pot? This 7 quart Dutch is also oven safe to 400 degrees and comes with a 10-year warranty. I love multi purpose cookware. Find out more here>>
For this soup, I cut up two thick pre-cooked boneless pork chops (leftovers I had) adding them to the soup for even more flavor. You could use chicken if you prefer. I used what I had on hand.
Typically I use chicken but, this turned out really good so I had to share it. Be sure to tag me and share a photo of your soup on Twitter or Instagram @dearcreatives to share how your soup turned out!
- New here? Don’t forget to Subscribe plus grab a free printable recipe binder and resources for cooking.
- Pin it for later
- Follow us on Pinterest
- Soup Recipes Pinterest
- Soup Recipes