Today’s dish is an easy homemade chicken enchilada soup recipe. I love easy recipes. Don’t you? This soup is so easy to make and filled with fresh made chicken, and has loads of flavor from green chilies and spices in the Soup. Don’t worry it’s only as spicy as you make it!
As a matter of fact I didn’t even add a jalapeno and the green chilies are mild. But, if you want it a bit spicier then your more than welcome to adapt it by adding chopped a jalapeno. Either way, it’s the kind of recipe that you will savor all year long. Enjoy during the autumn and winter months because it’s hearty, warm and filling.
What makes this an easy soup recipe easy? There are no measurements on the spices as you just dust the chicken with them. I have shown the step below in the post with an image. This is a simple way to get flavors quickly and save you time from measuring out ingredients each time. Note: If you have small kids you might want to spice according to your families preference.
Chicken Enchilada Soup
(with green chilies)
To begin your recipe gather all your ingredients and utensils needed.
- 1- 32 oz. chicken broth (I use Organic)
- 1- 19 oz. Las Palmas Green Enchilada Sauce
- 1- can black beans
- 1- can 16 oz. Rosarita refried vegetarian beans
- 1- can medium sized Ortega diced green chilies size = ( to 8 oz. or 2 -4 oz. )
- 14.5 oz can Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1- 1/2 lb. boneless chicken breasts (or) pre cooked chicken
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese (shred or pre shredded)
- 1/2 yellow onion (chop)
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Optional sour cream
- Heat your non stick pan slightly while adding a tablespoon of olive oil, add your chicken into a non stick pan.
- Next I don’t even measure I just coat the top side sprinkling chicken with pepper, a good amount of paprika, garlic powder and a dash of salt and cook on a medium heat. (As shown in the image above) Flip chicken meat about 5 minutes later if a thinner cut of boneless skinless chicken (longer if thick cut), and repeat with light dusting of paprika.
- Add onions to pan to sauté them. Finish cooking until cooked.
- Then cut into bite size pieces and add to soup following the recipe below.
- Food Guidelines for Cooking Temperatures
- The only thing that we love more on a cold winters day other than hot soup is the sun shining through the window warming up the house. You could even probably eat this cold like a gazpacho after cooking it. I make soups all year round as it’s my youngest daughter’s favorite thing to eat. She would have me make soup everyday and be happy as a clam!
Easy Soup Recipes
My Chicken Verde Enchilada Soup is just one of many easy soup recipes that doesn’t take long to make at all. This is great whenever you are busy. You can use pre-cooked chicken if you like but, often times I’ll cook up extra chicken on the same day adding some to the soup and reserving half for another day for when I’m planning our other family menu ideas. If not using the chicken the next day I’ll freeze it.
No matter if you cook the chicken before, same day or if you buy a rotisserie chicken to use it won’t matter. Make this as easy on yourself as you want! Just remember to add the spices if you use pre-cooked chicken. Then sit down and enjoy a bowl. If you like things spicy just add a little crushed peppers, salsa, Tabasco sauce or chopped jalapeno to the recipe . This is one easy soup recipe to be excited about and a side of tortilla chips and salsa would be perfect. Even top with sour cream if you like. Enjoy!
Want to learn more about Mexican Cuisine? You might enjoy this cookbook: Muy Bueno: Three Generations of Authentic Mexican Flavor
Do you have a favorite easy soup recipe?
- Don’t forget to subscribe and receive all our recipes, crafts and diys.