Today I’m sharing an easy recipes for turkey meatball soup. It’s been cold and rainy here. There is nothing better than cooking a big pot of soup to warm you up.
When I was helping family out of town. I had made a recipe with my daughter for Lentil soup with veggies. She asked me to make turkey meatballs for the soup. It was delicious. I haven’t used turkey meatballs in soup before that. But, since having that soup I decided to switch up my normal chicken vegetable soup to a homemade turkey meatball noodle soup.
Turkey Meatball Soup
I decided to keep the turkey meatballs out of the soup since Sammie isn’t a fan. We just add them into our soup bowls just prior to adding the soup into the bowl. But, you definitely can add them into the pot the last 15-20 minutes for flavor.
Turkey Meatball Soup
You’ll need 1/2-1 pound of turkey, 1 egg, Italian seasoned bread crumbs, onion, garlic, zucchini, carrots and Yukon potatoes. 1 – 14 ounce Fire roasted tomatoes for flavor or regular if you prefer. For the spices oregano, cracked pepper and bay leaves. You’ll also need 2- 32 ounce boxes of organic chicken broth and 1 chicken bullion cube. We used bow tie noodles but, any noodles that are your favorite will work.
There are three easy steps to this Turkey Meatball Soup recipe which makes it one of my many favorite go to easy recipes.
First saute your veggies in a non stick 5 quart skillet. This skillet is deep and has a glass lid. Be sure to use a skillet or pot you can cover with a lid.
Second make the turkey meatballs by first prepping the ingredients in a bowl. Then in a separate skillet slowly cook them until browned and centers are fully cooked. Set to side. Add to soup 15-20 minutes prior to serving or in each bowl individually.
Then cook your noodles for your soup per package directions for al dente. Drain, rinse in cold water and set to side. Ladle into soup when serving. This way your noodles don’t soak up all the broth and don’t get over cooked.
Turkey Meatball Soup Recipe
- 1 onion (half chopped goes into soup) *reserve other half for adding into turkey meatballs
- 2 zucchini
- 3 Yukon potatoes
- 1/2 cup of mini carrots
- 14.5 ounce can Fire Roasted Tomatoes (Hunts)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 - 1 pound organic ground turkey
- 1/2 cup Italian Bread Crumbs
- 2 tbsp. Oregano
- 10 grinds of cracked Pepper
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 - 32 ounce. organic chicken broth
- 1 chicken bullion cube
- olive oil
- Saute the chopped onion, 2 chopped garlic cloves in olive oil until clear on a medium / low heat.
- Add in the 2 chopped zucchini, 3 Yukon potatoes and mini carrots stirring them in.
- After you have let this cook about 3-5 minutes while stirring add in your chicken broth and chicken bullion cube.
- Next add in your spices: oregano, pepper and bay leaves.
- Let cook until potatoes are tender.
- Mix together the ground turkey, 1 egg, half a chopped onion and 1/2 cup Italian seasoning into a bowl. Shape small turkey meatballs.
- In a separate skillet add 1-2 tbsp. olive oil and cook the turkey meatballs, browning lightly and turning them. Finish cooking them on low until insides are cooked fully.
- Cook 2 cups of noodles per package instructions and rinse in cool water. Set to side.
- When soup is done scoop noodles and add turkey meatballs into a soup bowl. Then pour soup over the noodles and meatballs and serve.
- Adding salt to taste is optional. If you prefer you can substitute the fire roasted tomatoes with regular stewed tomatoes.
This recipe is really flavorful and delicious. It’s healthy and hearty.
The turkey meatballs are so tender break up easily. Have a bite in every spoonful. We hope you enjoy making this recipe soon.
Do you enjoy making homemade soup?