There is nothing like a loaf of good, homemade banana bread. What ticks my boxes for this banana bread recipe it is easy to make, moist, and filled with chopped walnuts! But, hey if you don’t like nuts just omit them. I have a son who doesn’t like nuts and he grew up on a walnut farm. Go figure!
Banana Bread Recipe
I found a recipe for banana bread online and adapted it slightly. This is a copycat of the Starbucks recipe. If you love their banana bread you are sure to love this Banana Walnut Bread!
Looking for something else to bake? Go here to see all our Quick Bread Recipes
Our tweaks to the recipe
- I added cinnamon because I think it gives it a classic banana bread flavor profile.
- Made my own buttermilk. Because honestly who buys it?
- And slightly reduced the sugar.
- If you don’t like walnuts or have them on hand, pecans are a bit sweeter and will work just as well in this recipe.
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- 3 large overripe bananas (mashed)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 large egg (room temp.)
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp. buttermilk – (2 tbsp. half and half + 1 tsp. fresh-squeezed lemon juice. Make this ahead 15 minutes.)
- Non-Stick Spray With Flour
Baking Tools – 1 bread loaf pan, mixing bowls, baking spoon, measuring cups, measuring spoons.
Instructions for how to make banana bread
Step by step instructions
Preheat the oven to 325 F. degrees
- Gather all your ingredients.
- Make/prep the buttermilk -2 tbsp. buttermilk – 2 tbsp. half and half (or milk) + 1 tsp. fresh-squeezed lemon juice into a measuring cup or bowl. Mix and let stand for 15 minutes to allow it to turn to buttermilk.
- Take the egg out of the refrigerator. Set the egg to the side until needed.
- Prep your loaf pan by spraying it with non-stick spray with flour. And, set to the side until needed.
- In a medium-sized bowl or a large measuring cup measure and mix flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Then set it to the side.
- Mash your bananas.
- In a large bowl combine vegetable oil, egg, vanilla extract.
- Next, add buttermilk and bananas to the mixture.
- Slowly begin adding flour mixture until all is combined.
- Fold in the chopped walnuts. (reserving 1/3 of a cup for the top of the banana bread)
- Pour the combined mixture into the bread loaf pan.
- Top with reserved chopped walnuts.
- Bake fully until a knife comes out clean.
- Take the baked banana bread out of the oven.
- Let the bread cool slightly before inverting the pan to release the bread.
- Let the banana bread cool before cutting the bread and serving!
- See notes for more tips! Enjoy!!
Notes: I used a glass bread loaf pan. Depending on your pan and oven the bake time may vary. Be sure to fully bake the banana bread.
If you don’t have a non-stick spray with flour you can use a non-stick spray and add some all-purpose flour to baking pan. Ensure the flour coats the pan fully and shake out excess flour.
Honestly, I love recipes like this for when you have overripe bananas. Or are going to have family or friends over. Do you enjoy baking loaf bread?
Print and make this homemade bread with bananas
- New here? Be sure to Subscribe. Grab our bonus printable recipe binder, cooking resources, and never miss a post with our newsletter!
- Don’t forget to Pin it for Later
- Follow us on Pinterest
- Shop our favorites on Amazon
Pin it for Later