Are you looking for a simple meal to make with low ingredients? This recipe for Chili Cheese Quesadillas is so easy to make! You can make this recipe with leftover homemade chili or a can of chili with beans, vegetarian chili or black beans in chili. This is an easy way to kick up your cheese quesadillas a k-notch!
This is a meal that we typically make when our groceries are low, it’s basically a pantry meal. It only takes a few pantry items, plus cheese to make. Looking for something else to make to eat? See all our recipes.
Chili Cheese Quesadillas
Make this quesadilla recipe with cheese and chili for a snack, lunch or easy dinner idea.
- Flour Tortillas (small tortillas) (large tortillas ) (Udis tortillas)
- Non-Stick Spray Or Butter Or Vegetable Oil
- Can of Chili With Beans (Or) Leftover homemade chili (Or) Black Beans with Chili Sauce (Or) Vegetarian chili
- Cheese – It can be any, or a combination of cheeses such as; Cheddar Cheese, Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack Cheese or Mexican Three Cheese blend (or) a bag of shredded cheese
- Additional ingredients for variations on the recipe are below in this post.
Kitchen tools we use for this recipe are
How To Make Chili Cheese Quesadillas
(Cheese Quesadillas With Chili added)
How to make and cook Chili Cheese Tortillas
Begin by getting out your ingredients and following these steps
- Shred your cheese if it isn’t shredded
- Warm the chili you are using in a small pot or microwave in a bowl, set to the side until needed.
- Heat the tortillas one by one following the instructions below, (cooking instructions).
- Repeat the process for making the tortillas for additional servings of the chili cheese tortillas.
Cooking Instructions for making quesadillas with cheese and chili con carne
- First, pre-spray or prep your skillet by adding non-stick PAM or with a little butter or oil. Heat up the pan on a low/medium heat. (If using butter use a lower heat so the butter doesn’t burn.)
- Warm your skillet slightly.
- Add the tortilla to the pan, lightly cook it on one side and flip it over.
- Now, add your cheese and a scoop of chili to the tortilla on one side.
- Fold it closed. Let it cook a few minutes, then carefully flip it over to the other side (while still being folded).
- Finish cooking until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the skillet.
- Place it on a cutting board to slice it in half.
- Plate the quesadilla with cheese and chili and serve! Repeat the cooking steps if you are making additional tortillas.
Enjoy it as is or top it with your favorite garnishes. And/or serve it with tortilla chips and salsa.
Tips for cooking quesadillas
- Keep the cheese from being too close to the edges of the tortilla when cooking them with the ingredients.
- Don’t over-stuff the tortillas
- Don’t use too high of a heat, you want to melt the cheese but, not burn your tortillas!
These are two helpful videos if you are just learning to cook.
- Here’s another easy way to make it with your leftover chili, using two tortillas when cooking Quick Easy Chili Cheese Quesadillas. in this video
- Or if you prefer to roll it like a burrito use this chili cheese burrito method. But, add cheese to it when cooking.
Optional ingredients to add or make this quesadillas recipe
- An alternative to the chili can be rotisserie chicken or premade chicken
- If you need a vegetarian option Vegetarian chili
- canned corn (make sure to drain off the liquid, before adding)
- green onions
- black olives (make sure to drain off the liquid, before adding)
- This jar of (homemade chili sauce) it’s so good!
Make this with your favorite tortillas or ones you have on hand. On this day (way back in 2013) we happened to have gluten-free tortillas that we received for free to try from Udis. Have you tried Udi’s New Gluten-Free Tortillas? They are good. Receiving these products did not influence my opinion then or now, the content and recipe on this post are my own. At the time of the original post – we made our recipe using the product.
We have updated the original post for our readers to include our updated information, and new recipe card with instructions, helpful resources to help you make this quick and easy dinner! Find the printable recipe below, along with more helpful recipes to make your lunches and dinners.
We think this is post is timely as so many are struggling right now, with what they have and can afford to cook or have on hand. It’s also a good recipe to make if you are just learning to cook, looking for easy recipes to make, or for teens who are looking for easy recipes to make. (supervision in the kitchen is always recommended depending on age and skill level)
- You also can find more quick and easy dinners and recipes with our section for 30-minute meals.
Chili Cheese Quesadillas Recipe
- New here? Be sure to Subscribe
- Pin it for Later
- Follow us on Pinterest
- Dinners Pinterest
- Easy Dinner Ideas Pinterest
- Easy Chicken Dinners Pinterest
- Recipe Index
- Easy Chicken Recipes
What other ways can you use tortillas?
Other dinner ideas using tortillas –
There are so many ways to use tortillas with your meals. Some of our favorite dinners are shredded chicken tacos and shredded beef, pork or chicken burritos. I love using my Instant Pot for cooking the meat for meal planning for several meals, then using the leftovers for making quesadillas or making a different meal with tortillas.
Cook the meat then make, quesadillas, tacos, burritos, enchiladas… Here are a few more recipes to help you get dinner on the table!
And then there is this easy recipe for Fiesta Cream Cheese Tortilla Rollups! Which I use for making as an appetizer but, you could cut the recipe down in size and make these for snacks or even lunch!
- Cheese Enchiladas (With Veggies optional) With step by step instructions.
- Chicken Enchiladas (this is a super old post I hope to update soon)
- Pork Enchiladas
You can cook meat in the Instant Pot and use leftovers for making quesadillas!
But, if you don’t have an Instant Pot yet these recipes will help you.
- Easy Perfectly Oven Roasted Chicken
- Chicken Fajitas Easy to make!
- Easy Smothered Chicken Tacos Easy to make on the stove-top and quick!
On this day I decided to make some easy quesadillas. You can make cheese quesadillas or you can kick up your cheese quesadillas a k-notch by adding chili to them! I hope this post helps you get dinner on the table for your family and finds you well! If you are new here; Don’t forget to subscribe you get a free printable recipe binder, plus cooking resources and never miss out on posts with our weekly newsletter.