We love Mexican food and cooking Mexican inspired dinners at home. I finally cooked Chicken Taquitos! I seriously don’t know why I hadn’t made them sooner, because they are so easy to make! Are you ready to make them too?
I’m sharing my quick tips and my recipe for chicken taquitos! Looking for something to cook? Be sure to see all our easy chicken recipes.
What I love about this recipe is you cook the chicken, then assemble and bake the chicken taquitos (all this can be done rather quickly). You also could use leftover cooked chicken or store-bought rotisserie chicken, which will cut the time down by 15 minutes. Winner, winner rolled chicken tacos (taquitos) for dinner!
- Chicken Breasts
- Mexican Spices
- Shredded Cheese
- Corn Tortillas
- Pam Cooking Spray (or you could probably brush vegetable oil on the tortillas)
- Sour cream
- Avocados or guacamole
- Green onions
Helpful kitchen tools for this recipe
How To Make Chicken Taquitos
Baked Chicken Taquitos
- Add your chicken to a non-stick pan or skillet, that has a little oil or non-stick spray on the bottom, heating the pan to medium heat.
- Then add your Mexican spices to the chicken. I added garlic powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper. (You can see step by step in this post for smothered chicken if you are new to cooking.) Sometimes I could a big batch of chicken in the Instant Pot (Instant Pot Chicken Tacos) and shred and use the chicken meat for recipes like this one.
- When the chicken is cooked to the internal temperature of 165F. Add it to a cutting board and shred the chicken or cut it into small bite-sized chunks.
- Prepare your sheet pan by covering it with aluminum foil, sprayed with Pam.
- Add your chopped chicken into a bowl, then add in the shredded cheese. I used about 4 ounces. (half of a small 8 oz. bag of shredded cheese) Mix these two ingredients together. If you want them cheesier add a bit more cheese. But, not so much it will spill out of the tortillas when baked.
- Warm the corn tortillas in the microwave by placing the tortillas on a plate and covering the tortillas with a damp paper towel. Microwave for about 2 minutes on high (this time may vary by Microwave settings) The tortillas should be warm and flexible without cracking.
- Begin to fill the tortillas (with the chicken and cheese mixture) and roll them up.
Place the filled, rolled tortillas lined with the seams face down, side by side. (use two hands to do this, it’s easy!)Repeating the process until done using the ingredients up, or for your desired amount.
- Once you are done rolling all your chicken taquitos, spray the tops of the rolled chicken taquitos generously with Pam.
- Place into the oven for 20-25 minutes. I check and rotate mine half-way through. The cooking time may vary by oven and how stuffed the corn tortillas are. You are just melting the cheese and crisping the corn tortilla shells.
- Carefully take a spatula (or use cooking tongs) and slide under two baked chicken tortillas, then place the baked chicken taquitos onto serving plates and garnish! Yeah, homemade chicken taquitos!
We love serving our chicken taquitos topped with sour cream, avocados or guacamole, green onions, and salsa. What toppings do you like on yours?
What to serve chicken taquitos with?
Pin it for later or print the recipe below!
Chicken Taquitos Recipe
Similar recipes you may enjoy cooking
- Chicken Fajitas 30 minute meal. Serve with rice, and beans, or use it for tacos, and burritos. Easy to make, and super tasty!