Today’s easy recipe is for Cream Cheese Tortilla Roll Ups. Maybe you know this as an appetizer called Cream Cheese Pin Wheels Roll Ups? Are you looking for appetizer recipes to make ahead of time for a party, fiesta, or pack up to take to a pot luck. This appetizer ticks those boxes. That’s why I made them.
Cream Cheese Tortilla Roll Ups
I know you have probably seen, or even made versions of this appetizer before and I might not be reinventing the wheel so to speak. If you haven’t made this appetizer they are worth making for holiday parties, parties, fiestas, school functions and get together-s for several reasons. First off you can make them vegetarian like I did. Or you can vary with vegetables and even add deli meats to them if you like. They are simple, a crowd please-r, and go well with a big bowl of salsa nearby.
We made these when Sammie had her end of season awards ceremony for tennis which included a pot luck dinner. We made and brought these for the celebration. She and her doubles partner were number one in the coast league for our region. They moved on for more games but, didn’t end up winning state. At the party these ended up being a hit, and we took home an empty tray. I call that success.
To give you an example of how easy these are to make I made them the same afternoon I’d be taking them to serve that evening. Bonus, for today’s pinwheels snacks you will only need a few groceries. Some of the of the groceries might be pantry items right on your pantry shelves.
Groceries you will need
- 2 packages 8 ounce cream cheese
- 1 pound of Colby Jack Cheese or Pepper Jack Cheese
- 1 large can of pitted black olives
- 1 can of diced green chiles
- 1 package large flour tortillas burrito size or larger
- Spices – cumin (1/2 tsp.) garlic powder (1/4 tsp.)
Supplies you will need
- Mixing Bowl
- Hand Mixer (or Stand Mixer) But, if you don’t have a mixer use a stainless steel spoon or wood spoon to cream mixture.
- Can Opener
- Sheet Pan
- Aluminum Foil or Parchment Paper
I’d say this cream cheese tortillas recipe has a bit of Mexican cuisine, flair to it with the diced green chilies, and cumin spice. So I’ll call them Fiesta Cream Cheese Tortilla Roll Ups. Here’s how to make them.
How to make tortilla roll ups
- First set out your cream cheese to soften. The softer the better and easier to make these.
- Add your softened cream cheese to a mixing bowl
- Shred your cheese finely and set aside until needed
- Next add your drained, diced green chilies to mixing bowl with cream cheese
- Open your can of pitted black olives, drain and chop then add to your soften cream cheese in the mixer
- Add your half a teaspoon cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon garlic (optional)
- Mix together on low to medium until well blended
- Next spread cream cheese mix onto tortillas one by one
- Sprinkle with finely shredded Colby-Jack cheese over the entire tortilla with cream cheese spread
- Roll up your filled tortilla as tightly as possible and line them up side by side on a lined baking sheet
- Continue steps 7-9 until all the cream cheese mixture is gone
- Cover your tray of tortillas with tin foil and place in the fridge for at least one hour
- When chilled slice in the size you’d like 1-3 inches and place onto your serving tray or aluminum tray with cover (for taking to serve elsewhere)
After mixing all the ingredients together until creamy and smooth.
Spread over all the tortillas until no cream cheese spread is left.
Roll your tortillas one by one and add them to a pre lined baking sheet. Cover, and set into the refrigerator for at least one hour prior to cutting into pin wheels. Make sure to add cream cheese near the outer edges to help them stick in place.
- You can line your pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper, or a silpat . But, you will need either of the first two to cover the tray while the tortilla roll ups chill in the fridge.
Keep chilled until ready to serve your guests. If serving at home you can use appetizer plates.
- New here? Don’t forget to subscribe
- Pin it for later
Cream Cheese Tortilla Roll Ups
Cream Cheese Tortilla Roll Ups is an easy appetizer recipe to make ahead and take or serve. You can make variations of this recipe that includes cream cheese, black olives, shredded cheese, green chilies and spices. Even sere them for snacks.
- 2 8 ounce Cream Cheese Soften
- 1 14.5 ounce Pitted Black Olives Spanish - (chop)
- 1 4 ounce Diced Green Chilies chopped
- 1 Package of 10 Flour Tortillas (large) Burrito size or larger
- 1/2 tsp. Cumin
- 1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 pound Colby Jack Cheese or Pepper Jack Cheese
First set out your cream cheese to soften. The softer the better and easier to make these.
Finely shred cheese, and set to side until needed.
Add your softened cream cheese to a mixing bowl.
Next add your drained, diced green chilies to mixing bowl with cream cheese.
Open your can of pitted black olives, drain and chop then add to your soften cream cheese in the mixing bowl.
Add your half a teaspoon cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon garlic (optional)
Mix together on low to medium until well blended.
Next spread cream cheese mix onto tortillas one by one.
Sprinkle with finely shredded Colby-Jack cheese over the entire tortilla with cream cheese spread.
Roll up your filled tortilla as tightly as possible and line them up side by side on a lined baking sheet.
Continue steps 7-9 until all the cream cheese mixture is gone.
Cover your tray of tortillas with tin foil and place in the fridge for at least one hour.
When chilled slice in the size you'd like 2-3 inches and place onto your serving tray or aluminum tray with cover (for taking to serve elsewhere)
Amount of roll ups may vary due to size you cut them for your appetizers. You will get at least one large tray of appetizers. Double recipe for more than 40.
Adapted from this Mexican Tortilla Roll Ups Recipe.
- Pioneer Woman’s Christmas Tortilla Rollups has green and red bell peppers and look festive for the holidays.
- Don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest for more appetizer recipes.