This strip steak recipe is so juicy, tender, and delicious! See how easy it is to cook strip steak on the stove-top. With a few ingredients, one pan, and under 30 minutes you will have steak and potatoes for dinner!
I love an easy dinner that you can make from start to finish quickly. Do you? If you are looking for a different recipe to cook see our other 30-minute recipes.
This recipe for strip steak won’t disappoint! Strip steak, baby potatoes (optional baby carrots), garlic cloves, and fresh thyme. You can use it for a weeknight dinner idea, a birthday dinner, and even a casual celebration.
Start with a good cut of beef. I know steak can be expensive. There are a few cuts of meat that will work for this recipe. You can talk to your grocery store butcher. I used a Top Loin New York Strip Steak (boneless). We got it on sale!
Other cuts of beef for making a Skirt Steak Recipe – Flank or skirt steak. Other cuts that are good for cutting into strips and then cooking quickly are sirloin, tri-tip, tenderloin, shoulder center (Ranch Steak), shoulder top blade (Flat Iron), and shoulder petite tender. Also, be on the lookout for chuck eye steaks. (Source)
For this recipe, you can use a large non-stick pan, stainless steel pan, or a cast-iron pan (pre-seasoned). If you are using the latter two you may need to add a little additional olive oil, as needed. And a wooden spoon for stirring.
Strip Steak Recipe
- Top Loin New York Strip Steak two 1-lb. steaks (about 1/2 lb. or slightly less per person)
- Fresh Thyme ( a small handful of about 6 sprigs or so.)
- Dutch baby yellow potatoes (half of a small bag for 2 people or all for 4 people)
- 1 cup of Baby Carrots (1 cup for 2 people or 2 cups for 4 people)
- 4 large Garlic Cloves (add more garlic if you prefer)
- Butter (1 stick)
- Olive Oil (1 tbsp.)
- 1 tablespoon Oregano (plus, 1-1/2 tsp. for the potatoes)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Take the steak out of the fridge and set it on the counter, before cooking.
- Rinse the baby potatoes and baby carrots.
- Quarter the potatoes and slice the carrots.
- Peel the garlic cloves and have them ready to be crushed with a garlic press.
- Then rinse off the fresh thyme and set it to the side.
- Unwrap the steak and slice it into thin strips.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 3 tablespoons of butter to your pan and heat it.
- As the butter melts add the prepared quartered baby potatoes and sliced baby carrots.
- Stir occasionally as the vegetables are cooking.
- Add salt, pepper, two crushed garlic cloves, oregano, and some of the thyme leaves.
- Cook for about 8 minutes, or until the baby potatoes are tender (test it with a fork).
- Remove the vegetables and place them into a bowl. Set it to the side.
- In the same pan add 1 tablespoon more of butter and the steak strips.
- Then add 2 crushed garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon dried oregano, salt, pepper, and thyme leaves.
- Cook the steak on both sides until it reaches your desired doneness. It only takes a few minutes on each side. (At least internal temperature of at least 145 degrees).
- Remove from the pan and plate. Then add the vegetable and enjoy!
- New here? Be sure to Subscribe. Grab our bonus printable recipe binder and cooking resources. Plus, never miss a post with our newsletter!
- Don’t forget to Pin it for Later
- Follow us on Pinterest
- Shop our favorites on Amazon