Steak tacos are one of my go-to recipes for when I need an easy dinner. I love a good soft taco. Do you? Make this recipe on the stove, along with soft corn tortillas heated in the microwave. It only requires a few ingredients, veggies, plus pantry staples. They are so tasty!
Looking for something different to cook for dinner? See all our recipes.
Inspired by Mexican street tacos (carne asada tacos) these steak tacos are delicious soft tacos with thinly sliced steak that have spices and garlic. You can add purple onion, green onion and cilantro to the top. Then squeeze lime onto them. Hot sauce is optional.
Serve this dinner idea with rice, beans and corn or a tossed green salad.
Sometimes we just have them without anything else or a salad bag if we aren’t in the mood to cook. Or I make homemade guacamole as a side dish. And of course chips and salsa.
Affiliate links may be included in the post. By clicking the links for qualifying purchases we earn a small commission. This is at no additional cost to you.
Steak Tacos Recipe
- 1.5-2lb. Skirt Steak (Or cubed steak for tacos.)
- Corn Tortillas (yellow) Or (white corn tortillas)
- Olive Oil
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Purple Onion (or white onion)
- 3-4 Green Onions
- 3 Limes (or Real Lime Juice)
- 1 bunch of Cilantro (optional)
Steak tacos seasonings – 2 tsp. oregano, salt and pepper, 1 tablespoon of chili powder, and 1 teaspoon of cumin. Plus juice of 1 lime.
Adjust the seasonings to your preference.
How To Cook Steak Tacos
- Chop up the purple onion. Use half for the recipe and use the other half for the garnishing.
- Mince 3-4 green onions. Set to the side for garnishing.
- Peel and mince 3 garlic cloves.
- Slice the steak into thin slices.
- Heat up your skillet or nonstick pan with a little olive oil (2 tablespoons)
- Add the sliced or cubed skirt steak to the pan.
- Then add the garlic, half of the chopped purple onion, spices, and saute.
- Then add juice of 1 lime, and stir until cooked. (Adjust the spices to your liking.)
- Remove from the stove when the beef is done cooking.
- Microwave corn tortillas until warm. (I dampened a paper towel, sprinkled water on the paper towel and cover the corn tortillas on a plate to keep them from drying out. Do this for a short amount of time about a minute or two for a stack of 6 tortillas, test to see if warm extend time if needed.)
- Assemble your tacos with steak into the warmed tortillas.
- Garnish with the toppings (green onion, purple onion, cilantro and lime). Or your favorite toppings and squeeze with lime.
- Don’t let the steak dry out when cooking it. You cook it for about 2 minutes on each side. Make adjustments for thicker sliced beef. I highly recommend thin slicing for the best results.
- The thin-sliced beef will cook very quickly.
- Add more lime if you like.
- Add salt and pepper to your taste preference. I use 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon salt and adjust to our taste.
- Optionally, you can add hot sauce to the beef tacos.
- The amount of steak may vary depending on if everyone is an adult and what sides you are serving with the steak tacos. We use this recipe for 3 adults and no sides.
- Need help seeing how to cut steak for tacos? You might find this Steak Tacos Video helpful.
What kind of meat do you use for steak tacos?
Sometimes you can find the beef cut into cubes ready for street tacos at your local grocery store. Or use skirt steak and slice it thinly for this recipe. It cooks really quickly and is perfect for Carne Asada Tacos (steak tacos).
- New here? Be sure to Subscribe. Grab our bonus printable recipe binder, cooking resources, and never miss a post with our newsletter!
- Don’t forget to Pin it for Later
- Follow us on Pinterest
- Shop our favorites on Amazon
Print The Recipe
More taco recipes to cook
- If you like to grill try this fan-favorite recipe for Carne Asada Verde Grilled Steak with Mexican Style Grilled Corn is another great steak recipe. And it also includes sides you can grill.
- Don’t have steak? You might like these Ground Beef Tacos.
- Quick and Easy Ground Beef Tacos.
- Have you ever made Taco Potatoes? They are easy to make!
- Taco Pie In about 30-minutes you will have a tasty dinner to serve your family.
- Do you prefer chicken tacos? Instant Pot Chicken Tacos.
- Here’s a quick stove-top Chicken Tacos Recipe.
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos.
- Use our search bar to search tacos to find different tacos recipes to cook.
- These dinner ideas are perfect for when you need to get dinner on the table fast! (30 Minute Meals)
What are your favorite tacos?