Are you ready for a big bowl of piping hot soup? Today’s Lentil Soup is one recipe I’ve made a few times with my daughter Krissy. The first time at her home and then at my house, each time adapting it to suit our tastes. It is so good, and flavorful. If you haven’t tried lentil soup before you are in for one yummy bowl of good eats.
This soup is super filling so it makes a great dinner. But, you can serve it with your favorite rolls or French bread. Who doesn’t love dunking bread into soup? I know lentils might not be everyone’s favorite soup (picky eaters) but, this lentil soup recipe is worth trying. Your picky eaters just might like it. Our kids do. But, if you rather try something else head over here to see all our soup recipes.
You can make this soup on the stove, and you will love how easy it is to make. It’s mostly chopping, a little saute action and dumping it all into a soup pot to simmer away. With an occasional stirring. You can make it in a *crockpot if you want to. Set on low and slow, or in the *instant pot on soup for 30 minutes *(According to the original recipe, which is in the recipe notes).
- potatoes (2)
- sweet potatoes (2)
- baby spinach
- green lentils
- 2 – 32 ounces of chicken broth or * vegetable broth *(USE vegetable broth for vegetarian and vegan options)
- olive oil
- Spices – salt, pepper, herbs de provence and fresh thyme
How to make lentil soup
- Peel and chop your garlic and onions.
- Wash and chop your carrots (and peel if you like) and celery, discarding end chops.
- Wash, peel and rinse your potatoes. Cube them into larger chunks.
- Wash your baby spinach. Then reserve it for adding it to your soup in the last steps of the recipe.
Directions for making your soup
- Take your onion, garlic, carrots and celery that have been prepped and add them to your soup pot that has olive oil in it.
- Saute them until onions are translucent. Stirring while cooking.
- Next you will add the potatoes, lentils and broth of your choice. Using vegetable broth will make this vegetarian and vegan. Easy Peasy!
- Bring soup to a boil, then lower and simmer until potatoes are cooked and lentils are tender.
- The last five to ten minutes or before serving add your pre washed baby spinach. The soup will be done and ready to serve.
Ladle your lentil soup into a big soup bowl, regular soup bowl or baby size soup bowl for the little ones. Serve with rolls, biscuits or French bread. You can use this recipe for a lunch or dinner. It makes a big pot of soup to feed a crowd or you will have leftovers for the next day. Reheating is easy on the stove top or microwave. You can freeze left overs if you like. I like using these glass containers for freezing. Just be sure to leave a little head room, as it will expand as it freezes.
Sorry I didn’t take step by step images. We made this soup the weekend I was packing to go back east. Luckily I snapped a few photos because our weekend was crazy busy. This recipe is so easy to make. Any novice cook can make this soup. But, if you have questions just ask me on our Facebook page. I’m happy to answer them.
lentil soup recipe
Delicious and easy to make lentil soup packed with vegetables making this one healthy soup recipe. Use vegetable broth and this is a vegetarian - vegan lentil soup.
- 1 yellow onion chopped finely
- 4-5 cloves garlic peel and mince
- 6-8 carrots (or about 2 cups) peel and chop
- 4 celery chop fine
- 2- 32 ounce chicken or vegetable broth
- 1-2 cup baby spinach
- 2 sweet potatoes peel and cube
- 2 potatoes peel and cube
- 2 cup green lentils
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. thyme (fresh chopped)
- 2 tsp. herbs de province
Peel and chop your garlic and onions.
Wash and chop your carrots and celery, discarding end chops.
Wash, peel and rinse your potatoes. Cube them into larger chunks.
Wash your baby spinach but reserve until later.
Take your onion, garlic, carrots and celery that have been prepped and add them to your soup pot that has olive oil in it.
Saute the ingredients until onions are translucent. Stirring while cooking.
Next you will add the potatoes, lentils and broth of your choice. Using vegetable broth will make this vegetarian.
Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are cooked and lentils are tender.
10 minutes before serving your soup add the baby spinach. When it's tender the soup is ready to serve.
Adjust spices to your liking.
Adapted from Pinch of Yum The Best Detox Crockpot Lentil Soup
- New here? Be sure to subscribe
- Pin it for later
- Do you follow us on Pinterest? Follow us on Pinterest, our soup board.
- See all our soup recipes