Living Room Organization – We are sharing 10+ Easy Steps for How to Organize The Living Room. Plus, living room ideas to help you declutter your home. I have been working on my home organization. I just started to focus on my living room recently. Decluttering and cleaning it to make daily living easier and more enjoyable. It also makes sense to clean and organize before the kids get out of school, before holidays, and decorating.
I don’t think I’ll ever have a house that is totally minimalist style, although I would love it. Baby steps, ha! There is something cathartic about just displaying your favorite things styled, not over cluttered and creating a more zen-like space. (My end goal)
My goal is creating a stylish living room that is family friendly, functional and clutter free.
Living Room Organization
We don’t have a family room so our living room is dual purpose, with the living room is an open concept. It is connected with the dining room.
I’ve been going full-on Kondo since I read the book, “The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up” and watched the show on Netflix. Girl, you got me tossing my stuff on the ground. Boxing things up and hauling to the donation center. Just sayin’ it’s so cathartic.
What living room organization goals do you have?
If your living room is already cluttered free and organized maybe you’d just like to refresh it by painting? See these two posts for inspiration and ideas A Color Story and How to Pick Your Colors it also shows how I used this book for creating the living room space I love. It has tips for changing your home and life with color by using paint, decor accents, and other tips.
How do I organize my living room?
How to organize your living room
- Remove seasonal decor
- Clear the everyday clutter
- Get a box or laundry basket and gather up all the things that belong in other rooms. (remove them all at once and put them away, which can be later when the living room is clean) This eliminates going back and forth with random things to be put back where they belong.)
- Giveaway or donate dated or excess nick-knacks
- Donate unwanted items to places like Goodwill and Habitat for Humanity Restore
- Donate books you have read and no longer serve you ( Check with your local library they typically take books and magazine donations.)
- Get rid of magazines or group together favorites, store favorites in a magazine rack
- Can’t live without magazines? Read your magazines on an app like Apple News+ App, which is my favorite. It has every magazine you can image all for 1 low price. Plus, it’s saving space, having no clutter and reading all the magazines for one low price! Check it out for free here
- If you have pets or small kids use soft baskets for storing toys and low shelving.
- Have teens that play sports? Or you do? Keep sports gear in entryway closets or the bedrooms. I love using storage bins.
- Get your family in the habit of hanging up their coats, backpacks and other things when they get home. (Not dumping their stuff in the living room! )
Use baskets for throws, extra pillows, books, toys, dog toys, and winter throws. For small kids, items consider adding soft baskets, rope baskets or wicker baskets to a shelving unit and make sure to secure it to the wall. Use baskets for removing clutter and also for putting similar items together while still keeping them handy.
- If you have a bookcase in the living room make sure to declutter it. (repeat from #4 Take off any books you have read and donate the books and magazines to your local library.)
How do I declutter my living room?
Declutter the living room
- You will find this post helpful with 20 Decorative Storage Baskets Plus Quick Tips For Organizing Your Home
- This post with tips from professional organizers such as get rid of paperwork, DVDs, laundry, oversized or too much furniture…….
- This post is packed with budget-friendly organizing ideas for the living room.
Start with the areas in your home you use most
For us, the living room, kitchen and main bathrooms are the top priority. Tackling those areas where guests often come make living and entertaining guests so much easier. I promise to share a few before after as we make more updates to our living room.
What area of your home are you ready to organize?
- New here? Be sure to subscribe (and add us to your inbox)
- Pin it for later
- Follow us on Pinterest
- Home Organization Pinterest
Home Organization Tips
- Be Your Own Super Hero Home Organizing Tips Series + *pantry
- Must-Have Easy DIY Closet Organizing Tips Tools And Tricks
- Craft Room Organization Storage Ideas Tips And Tools
- Craft Room Storage DIY
- 25 Craft Room Organization Ideas
- Pantry Storage + Pantry Storage Tips
- How to Clean and Organization Your Pantry Budget Friendly (before/after)
- Freshen Up Your Linen Closet
- Towel Rack DIY
- Fall – Winter Cleaning Tips – Checklists Free 9 page Ebook
- 20 Decorative Storage Baskets
- HOME ORGANIZATION
- Home Office Makeover Before – After
- Bedroom Makeover Ideas and Tips
- Bathroom Makeover + Home Decor Ideas
- Opal House Decor at Target
- Don’t forget to check out these posts; Living Room Paint Makeover and Decor Makeover, How to Pick Your Colors (read this helpful book before changing up your color schemes.)
Visit our shop for beautiful baskets and other helpful picks.