Are you ready to update a bedroom in your home? We are sharing bedroom ideas and home decor ideas to help you plan your bedroom makeovers. Now is a great time of year to update your home’s bedrooms or guest bedrooms. Don’t make them a forgotten room in your home. Make your bedrooms look cozy and inviting for you or the guests you host at your home.
Maybe you are planning to makeover one of your kid’s rooms? Whatever bedroom you are ready to update we are sharing tips for making over your bedrooms.
Make transforming your bedrooms easy
- Pick your style
- Pick your color scheme
- Plan your makeover and bedroom layout
- Purge and Organize
- Donate unwanted and unused items (Goodwill Donations) / Upcycle decor for your bedroom (31 Best Websites to Score Free Stuff )
- Prep for painting if needed
- Paint (if needed)
- Arrange furniture
- Assemble bedding and hang curtains
- Go over each of these steps and tips below to help you transform your bedroom.
- In this post, we have lots of bedroom ideas.
- You can also find and follow us on Pinterest for more home decor ideas.
How you can make easy changes to your bedroom’s decor?
I saw this bedroom idea and thought I might have to put a bedroom makeover on the list for myself sometime this year! I am considering getting a king bed like this or the one shown above to replace the queen bed set we have. If you remember my office makeover one of our favorite places to shop is having a sale. If you are ready to shop you might like to check this out;
- Save Up To 25% With “Buy More Save More” On Select Lighting & Home Furnishing at Bellacor. Valid 9/25-10/01. Shop Now!
Recently we took my daughter’s bedroom from looking like a kids’ room to looking like a high school student’s room! Only one more year until she’s a senior.
Teen Girl Bedroom Ideas
We decided to give her bedroom a makeover because the colors were dated, the entire room needed a refresh, and the furniture was hodgepodge of stuff from when she was younger.
- I’ll just give you an overview of what’s going on and tips for how to makeover a bedroom
Teenage Bedroom Ideas for Small Rooms
We have always let my daughter pick her own colors so saying goodbye to magenta will not be hard for me, lol. She picked a bright light blue color called sigh and for one accent wall area cucumber. It’s already looking 100% better.
Using a paint and primer in one makes it easier to cover wall colors.
See the image below but, it doesn’t give the color justice and the cucumber color hasn’t been painted yet in this photo. More photos coming.
Tips for painting a small room
- Light color paint will brighten a room up making it feel more open
- But, don’t be afraid to use color
- Bold colors like the magenta are better used on one wall vs an entire room
- Grab a few paint color ideas for kids and teen rooms here or use online color picking paint tools.
- Read a book like YOUR COLOR STORY (see this post for a review of the book and how we used it for our living room makeover)
Bedroom Makeover in progress
I actually have been working on it for a while. She has a desk full of music stuff and books. We organized this after the painting was done, as we were moving the placement of furniture for a better room flow.
Start Bedroom Makeovers by
- Pulling off window coverings (curtains or blinds)
- Cleaning windows and window sills (window sill cleaner)
- Purge unneeded items, clothes, and books (donate them)
- Organize your stuff (Grab boxes 1 for keeping, 1 for unsure, 1 for donating, plus a trash bag. It will help make things easier)
After all this, we gave her room a new life by painting it. I can’t wait to show you a few upcycle projects we did for her room. I am hoping that her bulletin board will still fit in with the new theme.
- You might remember the bulletin board makeover – DIY. If you have a bulletin board that needs a makeover to check it out before you toss yours.
Decorating ideas by upcycling furniture
Have you ever done a furniture makeover? We have done several like our dresser to kitchen island and vanity to the coffee cart. For Sam’s bedroom, we did a furniture makeover to a vintage chair. We painted it, and covered with faux fur. And we also upcycled a nightstand with chalk paint. Both tutorials coming soon.
Easy ways to update any bedroom
- Makeover a chair you own or pick up at a yard sale
- Try Updating curtains. Our pick for her room’s curtains
- Updating your bedding. These cute sets were our picks: woodland animals sheet set which she loves, and here floral sheet set.
- Top it off with an updated a comforter. Her comforter with this floral print pillowfort comforter
- Add throw pillows!!! We added two of the prettiest throw pillows bears with flowers
- Soften a room by adding a throw rug to the room. We want to add a faux fur throw rug (in white) or faux fur throw rug (in pink)
- Organization! Add baskets, storage, shelves, and shoe racks for the closet or over the door shoe racks.
- This seagrass basket for catching things (like clothes tried on but not dirty) or (toys)
- If you are all in and ready for a full bedroom makeover first start by painting the room
Bedroom Makeover Ideas
Add or change bedroom sets, chairs, and if you have enough room get a desk
I’ll save bedroom set ideas for another day but, this is what we are thinking for my teen’s bedroom.
She’s never had a bed frame so we are thinking of getting a trundle bed or day bed lounger for her room. I have a feeling we might end up with the manila trundle day bed or something similar as it can sleep more than one. Which is perfect when she has a friend over or when family comes to visit. I can’t wait to share her room all done.
Sammie is into music and has a small recording studio set up in her room, with her computer and computer desk with a hutch. Offsetting all the hardware we are sticking with feminine themed decor. Room for seating is also important for when friends are over. Chairs, floor cushions, bean bag chairs…
Need more ideas for a teen girls room?
Guest Room Makeover
You might remember when I shared a few updates for our guest room? I didn’t share the full before / after yet. (more photo editing to do) That was a summer project we have almost finished. Bed sets like the one we purchased make it easy to make a bedroom look totally different without changing everything.
Little Girl Bedroom Ideas
When I was shopping online I spotted this set of mermaid sheets and mermaid pillowcases which I might get for my granddaughters. I had purchased them the cutest, and PRETTIEST mermaid blankets EVER mermaid blankets with tails when they came to visit. We got Riley to give up her security blanket in exchange. Grandma in for the win! Target has more mermaid blankets if you are looking ahead for birthdays…
Which room will you start a makeover with?
If you are looking for comforter sets, sheets, and other bedroom items Target has a great selection shop home decor
- New here? subscribe Stay up to date with all our news, and posts. You won’t want to miss the before-after of her bedroom, the furniture makeovers.
- Don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest for more home decor ideas.
- master bedrooms and guestrooms
- baby and kids rooms
- girls rooms