Dear Creatives, Over the past few nights we have been star gazing & watching the Perseid Meteor Shower. Have you? Today I thought I would share how you can still possibly get a glimpse of this meteor shower or be ready for the next one!
All you have to do is make sure you:
- view between 10pm & pre dawn
- make sure you are away from city lights (the darker the area the better)
- use your eyes ( a telescope or binoculars can be used but, it seems to obstruct your field of vision )
- be in an area with a wide field of vision, a mountain top or field ( less trees, houses means better chances )
- For Perseid Meteor Shower: Face the general direction of north-northeast, but take in as wide an expanse of sky as possible ( for this meteor shower, different meteor showers are located in different regions & areas in the sky)
- Check a meteor shower calendar to see when they are happening in what regions ( see below for calendar )
Do you want to encourage interest in science for your kids or even help yourself? NASA’s free app; app for Android & app for Apple that is a Meteor Counter. Yes, NASA wants our help in tracking meteors. & here is a free meteor shower calendar app. Of course if you look around some more via your app. stores I am sure you can find more great science & astronomy apps.To find out more science & astromony information visit NASA
Here is a great free calendar with information from SeaSky.Org
To view some great photos & links to others photos from around the world visit UniversityToday.com/Perseid Meteor Shower
Did you try & view any meteor showers over the weekend?
Don’t forget to try viewing tonight if you can!