Today we are sharing a kids’ butterfly craft. Are you looking for fun and easy crafts to make with the kids? Try this butterfly craft! If you love to craft you will probably have a lot of the supplies you need in your stash!
Use one color foam beads or multi-colored beads, the results are brightly colored butterflies. Need more ideas? See all our Crafts For Kids
Kids Butterfly Craft
Make this for a spring kids craft or summer kids craft, or anytime you are looking for an indoor kids craft project. If it’s nice outside this is a project you can easily set up outdoors. Use it for an Easter activity for kids, summer activity for kids… You get the picture. Now, lets make this craft with the kids.
How to Make Foam Beads Butterflies
First, gather all your supplies!
Supplies are sourced from Amazon, I will earn from qualifying purchases at no cost to you.
- Pipe cleaners (cut into 3-inch pieces for antenna)
- Foam Beads (choose color)
- Small adhesive googly eyes (use glue if they aren’t adhesive)
- Snack sized zipper bags (square or rectangle)
- Acrylic Paint (choose desired colors)
- Paper plate
- (Optional: tape and glue)
Kids Butterfly Craft Instructions
- Paint the clothespins on the paper plate. Use a second coat of paint if needed.
- Set aside and allow clothespins to dry.
- Fill snack bags half full with foam beads. Make sure you don’t overfill the bag.
- Separate the foam beads by dividing the bag in half vertically. You’ll want foam beads on the right and left of the bag and space in the center.
- Press the bag down to let as much air out as possible. Then, close the bag. The air in the bag will cause the bag to have trouble bunching up to create wings.
- Gather up the middle of the bag together and place the clothespin in place to hold it together. You may even find that twisting the bag a few times in the middle is helpful.
- If you feel that you need tape to hold it together, you can use a piece of tape in the center.
- Add the googly eyes to the top of the clothespin.
- Make a v shape with the pipe cleaner.
- Add pipe cleaner to the clothespin to create the antenna. The clamp from the clothespin should be able to hold the pipe cleaner, but if not, you can use glue.
- Add your clothespin to the center (separated space) of the plastic bag to complete your butterfly.
- Tada! You made it.
Now you can hang your butterfly craft from a fishing string in your home or classroom. Or let the kids play and run around with them (supervised). NOTE: Do not let your toddlers or small children have these unsupervised due to the small parts included in this craft.
Looking for more ideas and activities for kids? Scroll to the bottom of the post.
Spring Kids Craft
If you aren’t making this craft right now be sure to pin it! Happy crafting with your kids.
Looking for more kids craft ideas? Or kids’ activities?
Spring Crafts For Kids
- How To Make A Butterfly House is the perfect spring craft/summer craft to do with the kids outdoors. You only need a shoebox, bowl, see this kids craft idea…