International Women’s Day – Get your happy on it’s time to celebrate women! Ladies celebrate you, guys celebrate them, moms or dads inspire your daughters, everyone let’s celebrate all woman. What does it mean to you? Who inspired you? How do you celebrate it? How can you help women? How can we keep moving forward as women?
Celebrate all the women that paved the way, lent you a hand and inspired you. Celebrate all the women that are inspiring you now. Below we have simple ways you can celebrate International Women’s Day!
International Women’s Day
When is International Women’s Day?
- March 8th is International Women’s Day
Did you know that International Women’s Day was started in 1909, suggested and prompted by (SBA) to be an annual celebration by women for women’s rights in 1910? You can read all the history and see the images here. In 1975 The United Nations adopted this celebration. IWD is March 8th day. In some places, a of protest or a day of celebration of womanhood. *ref
Each year the UN gives the celebration a theme.
What’s is the 2019 International Women’s Day Theme?
- Think Equal, Build Smart, Innovate for Change
What color is for IWD?
As women, I’d like to think we have come a long way; but, have we? I see that we have so far to go.
- My grandmas didn’t drive and one wasn’t educated past the 3rd grade; Women didn’t have it easy in this era or before. In the 40-50’s.
- My mom was educated and made half of what a man in the same field made. In the late 50’s and 60’s.
- I held a corporate job for years my wages were not equal to what a man was given for the same job or a job under me. I also had one boss try to unethically slide me out for a man to take my position. (which backfired on them) 80’s and 90’s.
- My daughter’s and I all have seen first hand corporate structure with non equality and not equal pay to this day. in the 2000’s
- Sammie (my youngest) is the only girl in some of her science, engineering and advanced computer science classes. 2019 (Million Women Mentors – STEM)
How can equality continue to change faster and better?
Be a supporter of change
- If you have daughter’s talk to them about International Women’s Day.
- Talk to your daughter’s about paving a path of their dreams and how that can be achieved. Don’t know how to help them? 12 Tips for Getting Into the College of Your Choice
- Mentoring is vital.
- Creating a world of equality for ALL is vital.
- It’s important to voice discrimination and celebrate women’s achievements.
- It’s also important to be a good role model and to give back to others as we propel forward.
Think equal, build smart, innovate for change
— UN Secretary-General, António Guterres *ref
How to show solidarity for women on International Women’s Day?
- Wear purple
- Strike a Pose (#balanceforbetter 2019 Theme)
- Join an event
- Create your own event
- Use the current hashtag
- Create artwork celebrating women like @heatherpowersart – Instagram
- Read books about inspiring women
- Get books to read your kids about important women in history
- Keep reaching, try and achieving your goals
- Encourage your daughters to take advanced math, computer science and science (join school STEM programs)
- Find a mentor or be a mentor (leanin mentor her) (women-ahead #driveprogress) Why mentor? (4 Ways Mentoring Women Can Change The World)
- Start a mentor-ship program in your company
- Start a business (with women or be the boss woman)
- Support a women’s owned business
- Inspire other women one post at a time on Instagram; like @CleoWade her art and words. Her book Heart Talk She is a speaker, writer and author Cleo Wade “Find someplace in your neighborhood to show up” Give back. Inspiring through art and the written word.
- Support women artisans Etsy’s Fearless Women – Movers, Makers, and Shakers scroll down to see inspiring Maker Stories.
- . 25 Famous Women on Their Mentors
- More ways to celebrate IWD
- Sign up to participate or find out more info or join an event InternationalWomen’s Day
- On social media use the hash tag #InternationalWomensDay #InternationalWomensDay2019
- New here? Be sure to subscribe
- Pin it for later
- Small Business Interviews and Advice Pinterest
- 100 of the most Inspiring Women of the Last 100 years (article)
How do you celebrate International Women’s Day?