Do you love French Dip Sandwiches? French Dip Sandwiches with Au Jus sauce are a hit with my family, when cooked right. They can’t get enough of the good dipping sauce for their beef dip sandwiches, that is so flavorful. We think you’ll love this bite, after bite with all the juicy goodness, Au Jus sauce, onions and beef so tender. This is one of our Instant Pot Recipes but, you can make it in the crock pot if you don’t have one. It will just take sooo much longer.
French Dip Sandwiches
I have to admit I have tried several recipes for French Dip, then winged it changing, adding, and finding the right flavor profile my family would love before I decided this is the French dip recipe to share! Ta da
Before the other recipes didn’t pass the expert taster, my daughter who has a tongue for yum, and no filter when she doesn’t like something I make. Do you have a food critic in your house? I almost feel like when I get a thumbs up it’s like winning a tennis match. (I say tennis because that is what she plays but, really I feel like my kitchen can be the boxing ring. Victory or knock down. Life with teens, lol.)
In this case I’m holding up my PRIZE WINNING FRENCH DIP SANDWICH, dipping, lifting, and princess waving.
I can feel the crowd cheering that a winning beef dip recipe has been made and is about to hit their plates!
Then she lifts the sandwich and takes a bite. WE HAVE A WINNER! Yes, this is it. Third times a charm, I digress to get The Best French Dip Sandwiches. I feel like I need a ribbon pinned to me!
- I hope you get a chance to add easy recipe to your meal planning recipes as it’s worth making, and so easy to make. Let me show you how to make beef dip in the instant pot.
- This pressure cooker recipe can also be used in a crock-pot or slow cooker, and we share how.
- 2. 5 pound Chuck Roast (boneless)
- 1 large Onion, or 2 medium sized
- Garlic Cloves
- Spices (see printable recipe)
- Bottle of red wine
- Beef broth
- Worcestershire sauce
- Soy Sauce
- French Bread
How to make a French Dip Sandwich
- Gather your ingredients
- Un-package and season your roast beef (we used a Beef Chuck roast)
- Slice onions on a clean cutting board
- Chop Garlic
- Saute onions, remove from pot
- Brown meat, remove from pot
- Remove onions and meat when finished browning
- Add wine to the instant pot (red) I used Barefoot’s pinor noir *Good enough for sipping.
- Reduce wine
- Add back your beef roast and onions
- Add all other ingredients, including beef broth and spices
- Cook in instant pot or crock pot (see cooking times in printable recipe)
Steps for cooking French Dip in the Instant Pot
Pre heat instant pot on saute. (If making in a crock-pot or slow cooker saute onions on your stove in olive oil, and transfer to your slow cooker.)
Finish sauteing your onions, pull them out and then add your boneless beef roast to the instant pot. I only left the onions in there a bit longer. I was juggling taking photos and cooking.
- (if using a crock-pot or slow cooker saute your beef roast in the same pan you cooked your onions in, and transfer it to the slow cooker).
Add vino, to the pot you have been sauteing in, cook until reduced wine, it will take about 5-7 minutes.
- (For the crockpot add it to the skillet you sauteed the onions and beef in.)
Next add your beef and onions back to the instant pot. For Crock-pot and instant pot then add the rest of your ingredients, set your lid securely on. For your instant pot, set valve to sealing.
Program your instant pot for meat- stew for pressure cooking for one hour and 37 minutes for a 2. 5 lb. boneless beef roast. For the crock-pot cook for 6 hours on low. Adjust as needed for larger cuts of meat.
Remove cooked chuck roast from pot and slice beef for sandwiches. All the juicy goodness, onions and beef so tender is ready to be cut. This looks lighter as it’s not stirred, and light is shining on image.
Before serving your French dip
We love using a San Francisco Style French Bread, (or baguette) toasted. When it’s ready slowly dip into the au jus sauce made from the beef stock, wine, spices….. honestly, it’s tasty, and juicy! Worthy of two napkins. Maybe three.
Make this beef recipe any night of the week, game nights if your hosting a football party or just looking for a new recipe to try. But, if you rather get precooked beef to make yours here’s a quick and easy French Dip Sandwiches recipe for four.
French Dip Sandwiches
Easy to make French Dip Sandwiches (Instant Pot or Crock-pot) Flavorful, juicy, tender meat. Toasty French bread, and your ready to dip that sandwich and take a big bite! AMAZING!
- 2.5 lb. Chuck Roast
- 3 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 Onion yellow
- 32 ounces Beef Broth reserve half for instant pot, use full 32 ounces for crockpot
- 1/2 cup Red Wine Barefoot (red) I used Barefoot's pinor noir
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
Have your beef at room temperature. (preferably)
Gather your ingredients
Season your roast beef, set to side
Chop or crush Garlic
Saute onions, and garlic in Instant pot on saute.
Add beef, moving onions to side or removing them.
Brown meat on each side. Then remove the beef and onions.
Add wine to instant pot
Reduce wine for about 5 min. or until half is gone.
Add beef. and onions back to pot.
Then add half the beef broth equal to 16 ounces, bay leaves, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce to instant pot.
Cook according to your instant pot beef directions.
For our instant pot it took 1:40 See notes for crock pot directions.
Take your beef out, slice or shred it. Toast the French bread in toaster, toaster oven or oven. (lightly butter if you like) We prefer not to. Serve extra juice on the side, in a ramekin or small bowl for dipping next to your sandwich. We love using a San Francisco Style French Bread, (or baguette) toasted. When it's ready slowly dip into the au jus sauce made from the beef stock, wine, spices..... honestly, it's tasty, and juicy! Worthy of two napkins. Maybe three.
Inspired by this recipe: Instant Pot Pressure Cooker French Dip Sandwiches via Number 2 Pencil
French Dip Cooking Tips
- After sauteing make sure to set your Instant pot lever to sealing before cooking, after adding your lid.
- Make sure to let the countdown release of pressure before finishing pressure release, and opening pot. (refer to your Instant Pot directions for use tips)
- Recipe time may very slightly with warm up for sauteing or how large your cut of meat is.
- You may not need the reserve 16 ounces, when purchasing I had the larger box on hand and thought I may need to make more Au Jus sauce but, didn't end up needing it.
- Adjust broth start with 2-14.5 ounce cans.
- Always Remember to never over fill the liquid ever in your instant pot over the maximum line.
French Dip Crock-pot directions
- Follow same recipe
- Ensure your beef is fully covered you may need to use the entire 32 ounces for your crockpot recipe.
- When sauteing, and browning meat - do it in a skillet on the stove (unless you have a saute feature on your crock pot)
- Allow LONG cooking time (about 6 hours)
See all the steps, and images to help you make this recipe at DearCreatives.com/French Dip Sandwiches
This recipe serves 6-8 depending on if you serve sides, or are serving adults and kids. Enjoy!
The instant pot has saved me so many times since I decided to break down to see why people love them so much. But, what I love the most about this recipe cooked in the instant pot is how tender the beef was for cooking it for such a short time compared to the crockpot.
I have tons of easy crockpot recipes that we love and cook over, and over again. I’m just saying either way these cooking tools are a must for your kitchen. Because you can be doing other things while your French dip is cooking. Win, win, win!
Bonus, left overs that can be heated the next day on the stove or in the microwave for lunch. Who doesn’t like a good French dip sandwich?
- New here? Be sure to subscribe bonus, you get free printable recipe binder with meal planning templates, grocery lists, and more.
- Pin it for later
Looking for more good recipes to try?
- Easy Herb Roast Beef
- Beef Stir Fry (30 meal or less)
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos + Avocado Topping
- Easy Crockpot Recipes
- Instant Pot Recipes