My grandma had a few homemade drink recipes. My favorite drink recipe that I remember was a good old fashioned squeezed lemonade. The kind you’d love to add a little extra sugar to when you were a kid. When I saw Men In Black I had to laugh you know that part where Edgar wants more sugar? That was us as kids. But, now I tend to like my lemonade right in between tart and sweet. How do you like your lemonade?
She had a lemon tree in her back yard. Calling us up to come pick them when they were ripe. Sending us up the ladder to pick, then gently had them down to her as she added them to the basket. Lemon pies, lemon bread, lemon cake, and our all time favorite lemonade. Although, I don’t have my grandma’s original recipe I sourced one to share with you that I found. Later, I have a delicious lemon ricotta pound cake that I made to share with you!
You’ll need a bunch of lemons, sugar and water.
Now, there are juicy lemons and juicier lemons. Did you know that lemons come in many sizes and types? I didn’t realize how many types of lemons there are. I mainly knew about Meyer lemons. Perfect for juicing into your drink recipes or other recipes.
One trick if your lemons aren’t giving you the juice you want for your drink recipe try rolling the others prior to cutting and juicing.
- Lemons (amount will vary depending on size and type) = to 1-1/2 cups.
- Sugar one cup to one plus three quarter cups. (1-3/4) (depending on how sweet you like it!)
- Water 1 cup for simple syrup / and additional 7 cups water to dilute lemon juice and sugar for lemonade.
- Extra Sliced lemons for floating in glasses and pitcher.
- Dissolve 1 cup to 1-3/4 cup sugar to one cup water. You can do this in a sauce pan by heating and stirring. The sugar will dissolve making a simple syrup. Take off the stove and let it cool. Refrigerate until needed.
- Next roll your lemons, slice and seed them.
- Juice your lemons until you have about 1-1/2 cup lemon juice.
- Next combine the simple syrup and lemon juice plus add 7 cups water and mix together by stirring.
- Adjust to suit your taste. You can use a reamer to add pulp to the lemonade if you like it with pulp.
- Optional garnishing toppings to add a touch of color are mint or basil. Wash and slice prior to adding.
When your done take your lemonade onto the back porch and enjoy!
Today’s drink recipe of homemade old fashioned lemonade was made with lemons from Limoneira. You might enjoy seeing their gift boxes and baskets full of citrus fruits to make your juices and recipes with or to gift someone. If your traveling they are located in the Santa Paula, Ventura California area and have been established there since 1893.
What types of lemonade drink recipes do you enjoy?