Today’s recipe is for a homemade pasta sauce. This pasta sauce is almost as easy as opening up a jar of sauce but, it’s a homemade pasta sauce from scratch. We love adding fresh vegetables to our spaghetti sauce. Do you? You can adapt this recipe with your favorite vegetables, add ground beef, use turkey meat, use ground Italian sausage, omit the meat altogether or omit vegetables. It is a very versatile recipe to start with for cooking the fresh sauce at home,
This spaghetti sauce is one of our 30-minute meals. Perfect for meal plans for when you are busy! Or just need to get dinner on the table for your hungry family.
Homemade Pasta Sauce Recipe
Do you enjoy having homemade spaghetti sauce? When spring and summer hit we love adding all our favorite fresh vegetables in the spaghetti sauce. Once you have this basic recipe steps down dinner can be made in no time flat.
The best part is that its good tasting, healthy, not to mention a quick considering you aren’t using a sauce in a jar. Honestly, you can make this any time of year but, produce is so much better in spring, summer, and fall. Hands up! Who agrees with me on this one?
How to make pasta sauce from scratch
Adjust the recipe depending on how many people you are making it for. This recipe can easily be dinner for four people. (I hope to update this post’s images soon)
- (1) 24-32 ounce canned or jar of organic tomato sauce
- Three garlic cloves
- 1 onion minced (If you have one on hand, on this day I didn’t)
- Olive oil
- Italian spices (this is my favorite brand)
- Cracked black pepper or ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- One poblano pepper
- 3 small zucchini
- A small package of mushrooms
How to make pasta sauce
Time saving tip! I pre-cook my ground beef, reserving half when I make tacos the day before. (recipe here) Store the cooked ground beef in the fridge until ready to cook. Then pull out the ground beef to use in the sauce.
- If you want to add ground beef, cook it first. Drain any grease (if not using lean ground beef or lean ground round) and set it to the side. Set meat aside until the vegetables have been sauced. If not using vegetables skip this step. Then, follow the directions below.
- First, peel and chop the fresh garlic.
- Next, I wash, dry and slice the mushrooms, zucchini, the poblano pepper
- Then add them into 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet.
- Saute them all together on a lower heat.
- Open and add your canned tomato sauce.
- Then take little water and swirl it in the can getting any leftover tomato sauce and pour it into your skillet too.
Note- Always use non-stick kitchen utensils with your non-stick pan!
30-minute Pasta Sauce
Now the fun part, toss in about one tablespoon of Italian spices and grind your pepper over your sauce. Don’t have peppercorns to grind? Just add about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. pepper or white pepper. Next, stir it all together and put the stove on simmer for at least 15 minutes. Dash of salt to taste.
- 1 bay leaf
- Fresh basil (the Italian spices has basil in it) But, if you have a herb garden or have it on hand add a leaf or two to the cooking sauce.
- Onions (minced and sauteed with the garlic) ( I just didn’t have any on this day for the sauce)
I love to have my pasta sauces cook more but, honestly, if you need to serve it up quick you can stop here. If you have more time you can cook 30 minutes or more on a low simmer stirring occasionally. Cover with a lid if cooking for longer periods of time.
Homemade Pasta Sauce Recipe
How to cook spaghetti noodles for pasta sauce?
- Cook your pasta in salted water that has been brought to a rolling boil.
- Make your spaghetti noodles al dente by finding the shortest cook time on the package (of spaghetti noodles or other pasta noodles) and follow the package directions.
- After your noodles are cooked al dente, drain your noodles serve them in a large serving bowl with the pasta sauce poured over your noodles.
- Add fresh grated Parmesan cheese for garnish, at the table.
- Serve and enjoy!
- New here? Be sure to Subscribe! (grab our free printable recipe binder, resources and never miss a post!)
- Pin it for Later
- Follow us on Pinterest
- Recipes Italian Cuisine Pinterest
- Recipes to Cook
- Need a video to see how easy to vary 30-minute pasta sauces can be? (authentic pasta sauce) (with pasta meat sauce)
Looking for more quick dinners or easy dinner recipes? Or other meal planning ideas?
Try any of these easy pasta recipes and add them into your meal plans
- Italian Chicken Pasta Salad (30 minutes)
- Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
- Vegetarian Pasta Salad Recipe
- One-Pot Nacho Pasta
- 30-Minute Meals