Today’s recipe is for a homemade pasta sauce. This pasta sauce is almost as easy as opening up a jar of sauce. We love adding fresh vegetables to our spaghetti sauce. You can adapt this recipe with your favorite vegetables, add ground beef or omit the meat altogether. This easy pasta sauce recipe is one of our 30-minute meals. Perfect for meal plans for when you are busy!
Homemade Pasta Sauce Recipe
Do you enjoy having homemade spaghetti sauce? When spring and summer hit we love adding all our favorite fresh vegetables in the spaghetti sauce. Once you have this basic recipe down dinner can be made in no time flat.
The best part is that its good tasting, healthy, not to mention a quick. Honestly, you can make this any time of year but, produce is so much better in spring, summer, and fall. Hands up! Who agrees with me on this one?
Adjust the recipe depending on how many people you are making it for. This recipe can easily be dinner for four people. (I hope to update this post’s images soon)
- 24-32 ounce canned or jar of organic tomato sauce
- Three garlic cloves
- Olive oil
- Italian spices (this is my favorite brand)
- Cracked black pepper
- One poblano pepper
- 3 small zucchini
- A small package of mushrooms
How to make pasta sauce
Time saving tip! I pre-cook my ground beef, reserving half when I make tacos the day before. (recipe here) Store the cooked ground beef in the fridge until ready to cook. Then pull out the ground beef to use in the sauce.
- If you want to add ground beef, cook it first, drain any grease and set to the side. Follow directions then add to the sauce after you drain any excess grease from the ground beef.
- First, peel and chop the fresh garlic.
- Next, I wash, dry and slice the mushrooms, zucchini, the poblano pepper
- Then add them into 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet.
- Saute them all together on a lower heat.
- Open and add your canned tomato sauce.
- Then take little water and swirl it in the can getting any leftover tomato sauce and pour it into your skillet too.
Note- Always use non-stick kitchen utensils with your non-stick pan!
30-minute Pasta Sauce
Now the fun part, toss in about one tablespoon of Italian spices and grind your pepper over your sauce. Don’t have peppercorns to grind? Just add about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. pepper or white pepper. Next, stir it all together and put the stove on simmer for at least 15 minutes.
I love to have my pasta sauces cook more but, honestly, if you need to serve it up quick you can stop here. If you have more time you can cook 30 minutes or more on a low simmer stirring occasionally. Cover with a lid if cooking for longer periods of time.
Homemade Marinara Sauce
Homemade Pasta Sauce - 30 minute meal
Homemade Pasta Sauce that won't disappoint! This is a quick, easy spaghetti sauce recipe that is perfect for when you are busy. With or without meat it has fresh vegetables and done in 30 minutes!
- Olive Oil
- 1-32 oz can of Tomato Sauce
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 poblano chilie pepper wash & seed
- 3 small zucchini
- 1 small package mushrooms
- optional* 1/2 pound pre cooked lean ground beef
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Italian Spice Mix
- Parmesan Cheese
Peel and chop the fresh garlic.
Next I wash, dry and slice the mushrooms, zucchini, and the poblano pepper.Off into 2 tablespoons of olive oil they go.
Saute them all together on a lower heat.
Open and add your canned tomato sauce.
Then take little water and swirl it in the can getting any left and pour it into your pot too.
Add optional pre cooked ground beef.
One tablespoon of Italian spices and grind your pepper over your sauce.
Next stir it all together and put it on simmer for at least 15 minutes 20 minutes.
Don't have pepper corns to grind? Just add about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. pepper or white pepper.
Lean Ground Beef Optional (half pound pre cooked) I usually cook it the day before when cooking Tacos. Then add it to the sauce. If cooking the same day see post notes and add after you add the tomato sauce to the pan.
Optionally you can use a second pan to cook, then drain lean ground beef to add to sauce. Start this as your gathering your items to cook.
- Make your spaghetti noodles al dente by finding the shortest cook time on the package.
- After you drain your noodles serve it in a large serving bowl
- Add fresh grated Parmesan cheese at the table.
Looking for more quick dinners or easy dinner recipes? Or other meal planning ideas?
- Pin it for later
Try any of these easy pasta recipes and add them into your meal plans
- Italian Chicken Pasta Salad (30 minutes)
- Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
- Vegetarian Pasta Salad Recipe
- One-Pot Nacho Pasta
- 30-Minute Meals