Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore – Need I say more? We adapted our family favorite chicken caccaitore recipe into one of our easy crockpot recipes. Can I say shut the front door! Because people are going to be knocking it down to get into your house to eat this dinner idea. It is that GOOD!
Do you ever crave home-style easy chicken recipes that bring back fond memories of growing up? One of my favorites is a pasta dish that my mom only made on weekends. It was my grandma Nina’s Chicken Cacciatore recipe. Why we didn’t get this dish more often? I often wondered as a child. They were busy working during the week and there were many hours of stirring the pot while the meal cooked on those lazy weekends filled with good dinners.
First you had to make the sauce, fry the chicken and combine them. Then it was a long cook time to get the chicken tender and flavors to meld in the sauce. She would use cuts of chicken with the bone in and the skin on to really bring out the flavors. But, gone our the days of spending entire days in the kitchen. We just cut the time down, let the slow cooker do the stirring. Occasionally check on it and then serve it up when the chicken is cooked.
We love pouring this homemade cacciatore over freshly made pasta. Oh, comfort food how I love thee.
Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
What if I could recreate my grandma’s recipe by a few quick steps and by making this a Ragu Pasta Sauce Recipe? That’s just what I did.
First, I lightened up the recipe by using lean skinless boneless chicken and saved time by using this Ragu Homestyle Sauce. Then, let all the simmering and cooking be done in the slow cooker.
- Today I’m showing you exactly how to bring back my grandma’s Chicken Cacciatore recipe for the modern day kitchen!
Crockpot Chicken Cacciatore
You’ll love this recipe because with a few quick steps you will have this recipe cooking in the slow cooker. Then you’ll be able to get all the things done that are on your list.
- Car pooling kids
- you get the idea
Bonus, cooking in the crock-pot or slow cooker doesn’t heat up the kitchen! Which means this can be cooked anytime of year! The recipe is just as flavorful as my grandma’s traditional Chicken Cacciatore recipe. Let’s get cooking!
Here’s what you will need to make Chicken Cacciatore
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Jar of the New Ragu Homestyle Thick And Hearty Mushroom Sauce or Old World Style Ragu Mushroom Sauce
- 1 Package Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- 1 Small Can (14.5 oz.) 100% Natural Chicken Broth
- 1 cup White Wine *optional but, does add the traditional recipe component
- 1 package Rigatoni Noodles (or your favorite kind)
- Olive Oil
- Italian Spices
- Bay Leaves
- Black Pepper
The only other cooking you do is sautéing the onions and garlic in olive oil in a skillet. Note- This is a boneless chicken cacciatore recipe. If you want you can use chicken thighs with the skin and bones which then will have to be removed from the sauce or during eating. If you decide to do that you will get even a more flavorful cacciatore.
How to make chicken caccitore in the slow cooker
- Peel, then chop up the onion and garlic.
- Next sauté them in about 2 tablespoons olive oil until softened on a medium/low heat. Then set to the side.
Chicken Cacciatore Slow Cooker
- Slice your bell peppers.
- Open your can of chicken broth, jar of sauce and pour 1 cup of white wine.
- Add in 1 tsp. Italian Spices, 3 Bay Leaves and 1/4 tsp. black pepper.
- Add all these ingredients into the slow cooker. * I pre spray with a non stick cooking spray
- Cook in the slow cooker on high for 4-6 hours *depending on the thickness of your chicken pieces.
Right before your ready to serve up your easy slow cooker Chicken Cacciatore Recipe cook your Rigatoni or other pasta noodles according to the directions on the package. Garnish with shredded Parmesan Cheese and thinly sliced scallions.
This recipe is so easy to recreate in your own kitchen. This is a flavorful meal the entire family will love.
Our hero today was New Ragu Homestyle Thick & Hearty Mushroom Sauce but, you can use any of the Ragu sauces. No endless crushing tomatoes, finding the perfect flavors, they are all packed into one jar, made just like my grandmas.
- Visit Ragu to see more homestyle recipes that are made for today’s home cooks.
Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
This slow cooker chicken cacciatore recipe is just like my grandmas only adapted to fit the modern busy person. It's easy to make, little prep and finishes in the slow cooker. Giving you time to get other things done. Bonus, it doesn't heat up the kitchen. Don't you love crockpot recipes? I sure do and think you will love this as much as we do.
- 1 Yellow Onion
- •1 Green Bell Pepper
- •1 Red Bell Pepper
- •3 Garlic Cloves
- •1 Jar of the New Ragu Homestyle Thick And Hearty Mushroom Sauce
- •1 Package Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- •1 Small Can 14.5 oz. 100% Natural Chicken Broth
- •1 cup White Wine *optional
- •1 package Rigatoni Noodles or your favorite kind
- •Olive Oil
- •Italian Spices
- •Bay Leaves
- •Black Pepper
- Parmesan Cheese
1.Peel, then chop up the onion and garlic.
2.Next sauté them in about 2 tablespoons olive oil until softened on a medium/low heat. Then set to the side.
Slice your bell peppers.
3.Open your can of chicken broth, jar of sauce and pour 1 cup of wine.
4.Add in 1 tsp. Italian Spices, 3 Bay Leaves and 1/4 tsp. black pepper.
5.Add all these ingredients into the slow cooker.
6.Cook in the slow cooker on high for 4-6 hours *depending on the thickness of your chicken pieces.
Prior to cooking in the slow cooker you can pre spray with a non stick spray such as Pam.
Ladle finished sauce and fully cooked chicken onto cooked noodles like rigatoni.
This recipe can be cooked on the stove top but, you will have to stir it often so the bottom doesn't scorch.
If you like a thicker sauce use 2 jars of the New Ragu Homestyle Thick And Hearty Mushroom Sauce
Garnish with shredded Parmesan Cheese and thinly sliced scallions.
Do you enjoy using a slow cooker or crock-pot for cooking?
Looking for more easy Italian recipes?
- Easy Homemade Lasagna With Meat Sauce
- Chicken Piccata
- Pappardelle with Portobello Bolognese Sauce
- Homemade Lasagna
- Whole Wheat Pesto Pizza
- 15 Minute Baked Meatballs And Spaghetti
- Ravioli Lasagna With Broccoli Pesto And White Sauce
- Italian Beef Stew