Who wants to make the easiest Strawberry Tarts? Seriously, strawberries equal strawberry dessert recipes. But, I love making tarts for breakfast or brunch. (or a midnight snack!) This year these juicy fruits have had the most amazing flavor. What I like about these tarts is the puff pastry. The combo is divine! Light, crunchy, sweet insides, dusted with powdered sugar goodness.
If you are looking for something else? See all our Strawberry Recipes.
No, I didn’t make my own pastry for these baked goodies because honestly, it’s been too hot and the pastry takes quite a bit of time. But, you can and I have a recipe later in the post for that.
One night the fog rolled in, we were up late because it was too hot to sleep. On a whim, I thought why not sneak in a baking session to make something for breakfast. Since I had I had strawberries, and puff pastry in the freezer it was the perfect summer storm.
You can make this for breakfast, brunch or a dessert. I love pastries with my coffee in the morning. Don’t you? It reminds me of going to the cafe. I love rolling out of bed, grabbing a cup of coffee, sweet treat, and savoring my mornings. I have found that I need to eat a little something when having my coffee. But, I am not a big breakfast eater.
No, I don’t have pastries very often but, it’s a nice treat to have in the mornings. As a matter of fact, you might enjoy baking up a batch for the kids when they head back to school. The bitter, sweet send-off to the end of summer.
How to Make Strawberry Tarts
- 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 -1/2 cups Fresh Strawberries
- 1 tbsp.Corn Starch
- 1 -2 packages Frozen Puff Pastry (I used 1 pack but, you could use the 2nd package and make 12)
- 1-2 tsp. softened butter or an egg wash (egg wash is more commonly used but, I didn’t have eggs on hand)
- Powdered Sugar for garnish (confectioner’s sugar)
An alternative way to prepare the tarts; If you don’t have fresh strawberries or don’t have time you can use strawberry preserves or strawberry jam, vs. making your own. But, honestly, it’s super easy! If you use the jam, just omit the granulated sugar, fresh strawberries, and corn starch. And buy your favorite strawberry jam instead to add it to the inside of your tarts. Ta-Da! It just got easier! If making it this way, jump down to preparing your puff pastry dough and follow the steps.
Directions for making strawberry jam tarts
- Take your puff pastry out of the freezer.
- Then wash, hull and slice up your strawberries. You will only need 1-1/2 cups. Sprinkle 1/4 cup granulated sugar over them and let them sit while your puff pastry is defrosting. (the longer they sit the juicier they become)
- In 20 minutes or so, make the strawberry jam for your pastries.
To make the strawberry jam for the strawberry tarts
- Add your prepared strawberries with the juice from them to a pot or double boiler.
- Mix in 1 tablespoon corn starch to the pot with strawberries and juice.
- Turn on heat, stirring and bring mixture to a boil.
- When it’s hot turn down temperature to medium heat
- Get out a potato masher and mash your berries.
- When the mixture has thickened. Turn off heat, let cool slightly.
How to Prepare the puff pastry sheets
- Preheat oven to 375
- Pre-line your sheet pan with your parchment paper or silpat.
- Lay your pastry dough out one by one. Cut it into 6 rectangles.
- Add your strawberry jam onto the center of 6 of the cut puff pastry dough. (The last few I had extra so I just piled it on. Or have more puff pastry on hand)
- Take a little water and brush it along the inside edges.
- Cover with the other 6 cut puff pastry dough.
- Press Down with your fingers, on the two combined pastry edges.
- Then crimp the edges with a fork to secure the closure.
- Bake until golden brown at 375 degrees for about 20-25 minutes.
- Let the pastries cool.
- Scroll down to grab the printable recipe!
Serve your pastries or cover and serve them the next day! I hope you enjoy the strawberry tarts. They are about the size of a pop tart. You can cut them in half (prior to filling and baking is easy OR after baking works too) are serving small kids.
- New here? Be sure to subscribe. Bonus, you get a free printable recipe binder and resources.
- Pin it for Later
- Follow us on Pinterest
- Baking Recipes
- Baking on Pinterest
- Strawberry Recipes Pinterest
Print the recipe to cook this! Enjoy making and eating these delicious tarts that are sooo easy to make!
Looking for other tart recipes?
- You might like our Cherry Tarts. They are even easier!
- Try these Strawberries and Cream Puff Pastry Tarts! They make an awesome dessert! Make it look even fancier by adding fruit in the center of the serving platter. Add pretty serving tongs to the mix.
How to make puff pastry dough?
- Puff Pastry Dough Recipe – make a homemade puff pastry
- It’s like a baker’s art and takes time, no wonder, I have never made it. But, it is definitely going on my must-try baking skills list.
What is the difference between a tart and pop tart?
The dough! Puff pastry is a French pastry technique and used for tarts and other pastries. Pop-tarts are made with pie dough.
- Don’t forget to subscribe. Bonus, you get a free printable recipe binder and resources.
- Strawberry Recipes
Baking supplies you might need