Dear Creatives, Remember the Joann craft challenge where Sammie & I shared how we did the Ombre dye technique diy & free hand free pour design technique. Well after we were done we had dye left over to use. Here is our latest tie dying, dying tee shirts with different techniques. One of the ones we tried was the Sunburst tie dye technique. Today I thought I would share how we did this sunburst technique.
This technique is pretty easy you can vary the colors of the sunbursts by using various colored dye on the pulled up area. Be sure to use different colored dye or leave white areas to create your affects.
- Have all your materials & supplies ready
- Pre-Read your dye directions
- Pre-Wash sizing out of t-shirt
- take damp t-shirt to work area ( cover table with large plastic garbage bag or other table protector)
- lay flat
- pull up sections at a time & rubber band
- repeat last two steps as many times as you want star bursts
- dye star bursts one color
- color other t-shirt areas another color
- follow dye directions for setting dye ( approx. 6-8 hours)
- Once it’s done you then rinse with warm water until t-shirt dye runs clear as possible, wringing as you rinse helps get out dye
- Wash per dye box instructions & then dry
- Wear your lovely dyed t-shirt!
We hung the shirts on the line with clothes pins, just to take photos. You can’t leave them hanging with wood ones. The wood will absorb the dye & leave a faded area. I recommend having a place to lay the shirts down flat until somewhat dried. Lay out your plastic, then shirts outdoors where animals or children can not get to them while drying. Or wrap in saran wrap to hold dye color during saturation process of the 6-8 hours.
In the previous tutorial I shared this image, but didn’t describe how easy it is to use the dye kits. This is the step by step process. The dye comes in packets. *make sure your in a non windy area or time of day so dye powder doesn’t blow away.
- Read all the directions from your dye kit first (Follow your dye kit instructions, this is just to show you how easy it is! Your kit will probably be similar)
- Put on your gloves
- You just slip the corner(very slightly) with a pair of scissors, pour dye into bottle
- Add water to the the line on the bottle
- Secure the lid onto the bottle
- Hold the bottle securely & shake until mixed, powder dissolves
- Dye using methods in your dye kits
- Note: Supervision is required when using these products ( I do not recommend using with small children unless you have adult help, supervision is recommended for 14 years & younger but, I would use personal judgement on the higher end still using supervision)
This is a fun summer project! Ok, so now you want to know what kit I used, where to get inexpensive t-shirts, kid friendly dye kits, interested in seeing the other dye technique tutorials?
Visit this related post for just that! Ombre technique & Free hand dying, plus supplies: Tie Dye T-Shirt Post
What Summer Projects are you doing with your kids?
LivingSocial is the local marketplace to buy and share the best things to do in your city. With unique and diverse offerings each day, we inspire members to discover everything from weekend excursions to one-of-a kind events and experiences to exclusive gourmet dinners to family aquarium outings and more.