Are you looking for an easy side dish to make? Try making this Scalloped Potatoes Recipe. It’s easy to make, delicious, and tastes just like grandma’s scalloped potatoes.
A classic side dish that can be used to accompany dinner or use it for a side dish for the holidays.
Scalloped Potatoes With Cheese
Use this scalloped potatoes recipe with cheese as a side dish to go along with dinner. This recipe is easy to make. A classic side dish made from scratch with thinly sliced potatoes…
Affiliate links may be included in the post. By clicking the links for qualifying purchases we earn a small commission. This is at no additional cost to you.
- 1 ½ lb. white potatoes
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 4 Tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 Tablespoons of cubed butter
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Tablespoon of chopped parsley (garnish)
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
How to make scalloped potatoes
Preheat the oven to 375F degrees
- Peel the potatoes. And then use a mandolin or chef’s knife to achieve thin-sliced potatoes. (Make the slices about to ¼ inches thick).
- Finely chop the onions.
- Spray the bottoms and sides of an 8 x 8 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Alternate the layers of potatoes, onions, flour, salt, and pepper, starting with potatoes first and ending with flour mixture on top. You should have 3 layers. (see the notes for the recipe)
- Top the potatoes with the cubed butter.
- Heat the milk. Stop heating the milk at the point that is just before boiling.
- Pour the milk over the layers in the baking dish.
- Top with the shredded cheese. (I like to shred the cheese myself vs. purchasing shredded cheese. I think it melts better and is creamier.)
- Bake the side-dish covered. Bake until the potatoes are fork-tender. (For about 50 minutes).
- At this point, you will uncover the baking dish and bake until the cheese bubbles and browns. (Bake about another 15 minutes)
- Broil for 2 minutes to get a nice golden brown top.
- Remove the dish from the oven. Place them on the stovetop grate or trivet and let the baked potatoes dish stand/rest for 15 – 20 minutes. Or let it rest until the sauce thickens.
- You will need around 5 medium sized potatoes to get the three cups of sliced potatoes for the recipe).
- Use yellow potatoes if you prefer or that’s what you have on hand.
- Yukon Potatoes or Russet Potatoes are best for scalloped potatoes.
- Using a mandolin will help you get an even thickness of slices. If you don’t have one, you will need a very sharp knife.
- Put potatoes in a single layer, minimally overlapping but fit larger pieces together with smaller pieces to form a sort of puzzle, to cover as much space as possible.
- Place a sheet pan or baking sheet under the dish while baking to catch anything that may overflow out of the baking dish.
- Optional ways to make them and add more flavors are by sprinkling them with garlic powder, a dash of cayanne or paprika.
Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
If you are wondering, “What type of casserole dish to use for making casseroles?”
- New here? Be sure to Subscribe. Grab our bonus printable recipe binder and cooking resources. Plus, never miss a post with our newsletter!
- Don’t forget to Pin it for Later
- Follow us on Pinterest
- Shop our favorites on Amazon