We think you will enjoy this wreath cupcakes recipe; included is the chocolate cupcakes recipe, the frosting recipe, plus the icing recipe, along with how to make wreath cupcakes. Holidays for us are a special time. We often gather several times over the season seeing family and friends that we don’t always get to see. Making Christmas cupcake recipes for guests can be so much fun!
We enjoy baking along with hosting gatherings. This is an easy holiday dessert for any seasonal gathering. Pick an evening to get together, bring desserts visit and watch a holiday movie. Do you enjoy baking? If yes, you will enjoy this holiday cupcakes recipe.
Wreath Cupcake Frosting and Icing Recipe
- 1 1/3 C flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 C unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 TBSP unsalted butter room temp
- 1/2 C sugar
- 2 eggs room temp
- 3/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 C whole milk
- 1 C unsalted butter room temp
- 4 + C powder sugar
- 4 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- 2 egg whites
- 1 C powder sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Green & red gel food coloring
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with paper liners.
-Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa and salt. Whisk these together. Set aside.
-Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy in a large bowl.
-Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add in the vanilla.
-Alternate by adding the flour mixture with the milk; beating after each addition.
-Fill the lined cupcake tins 3/4 full.
-Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
-Allow to cool in cupcake pan for 10 minutes.
-Move to a wire rack to cool completely.
-Cream the butter and powder sugar until it is light and creamy.
-If it doesn't cream add several drops of the heavy whipping cream until it creams.
-Test to see if the frosting can form and hold a stiff peak by taking a spoonful of frosting and turning the spoon upside down. If the frosting stays on the spoon it is ready if not then.
- Add more powder sugar 1/2 C at a time. Mix well.
-If ready scoop the frosting into a pastry bag with a large tip.
-Twist the open end of the pastry bag to push the frosting to the tip.
-Start by frosting on the outside edge of the cupcake working to the center of the cupcake.
-Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix on medium speed for 4 minutes. (except your food coloring)
-If icing is not stiff enough add 1/4 C powder sugar.
- Spoon the icing into a bowl.
-Take out 1/4 of the icing and put in a separate bowl. Add several drops of red gel food coloring. Stir well to mix the color.
-Add several drops of the green gel food coloring to the remaining icing . Stir well to mix the color.
-Spoon the green icing into a piping bag with a star tip. Holding the piping bag with the star tip straight down begin to squeeze the open end of the bag to force the icing to the tip.
-Circle the frosting on top of the cupcake making in the shape of a wreath. Allow this to dry for about 1 minute.
-Spoon the red icing into a piping bag with a small round tip.
-Following the example from the picture of the cupcakes begin making small red dots on top of the green wreath. Then make a bow also in the red icing.
-Allow the icing to dry completely.
Baking cupcakes isn’t difficult. You just need to remember to use a few of these tips I’ve learned over the years of cupcake making. Happy Christmas Cupcakes making! Theresa
- To have all your ingredients out prior to starting. This helps you make sure you have everything you need.
- Soften butter if it’s called for prior to starting.
- Get your eggs at room temperature.
- Measure and gently mix all your dry ingredients in one bowl.
- Have your wet ingredients in the larger bowl.
- Baking recipes most always have you adding dry ingredients slowly to wet ingredients.
- Read through directions and ingredient list prior to starting your recipes.
- Need help learning how to pipe frosting? This video ButterCream Piping Tips and Techniques
- Here’s a blog post with a break down of each tip and what the frosting will look like (in images not a video but, she does have videos) How to Frost Cupcakes With Piping Tips
- New here? Don’t forget to subscribe
- Baking Recipes
- Quick Bread Recipes
- Cookie Recipes
- Cupcake Recipes
I think both the video and post are helpful if you have never tried piping icing. Looking for other cupcake recipes? I’ve got you covered with my Cupcake Recipes Pinterest Board.