Dear Creatives, I am happy to have Meredith Guest Posting today a healthier recipe of Cranberry Almond Anytime Bars along with some new years eating tips.
“Image courtesy of James Barker at FreeDigitalPhotos.net”
It’s that time of year again—New Year’s resolution time! Eating healthy is one of the most commonly made resolutions every year, but it always seems to be one of the most difficult ones to keep. It’s hard to make an immediate switch from rich holiday goodies to a lettuce-only diet, though, which is understandably why so many resolutions get broken pretty quickly.
But maintaining a balanced, nutritious diet doesn’t have to be so hard, and certainly doesn’t have to revolve around raw veggies or bland chicken breasts. There are plenty of recipes that are good for you that still taste great, and this recipe for Cranberry Almond Anytime Bars is a perfect example.
These bars are made with whole wheat flour for higher fiber and lots of nutrients, and egg substitute for lower fat and calorie contents, making them a healthier, no-guilt option for breakfast, a snack or dessert. They’re also a great way to use up those leftover cranberries from Christmastime! Try them out and feel good about your eating this year!
About the Author:
Meredith K. writes on behalf of PAM® cooking spray. For more baking tips and cooking tips to help you stick to your resolutions this year, visit www.pamcookingspray.com.
- PAM® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 cup Ultragrain® White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup Fleischmann's® Original-stick, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup Egg Beaters® Original
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Spray a 13x9-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. Combine flour, oats and baking powder in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream Fleischmann’s and brown sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until blended. Slowly add Egg Beaters and vanilla; mix until well-blended.
- Gradually add flour mixture; mix just until combined. Stir in cranberries and almonds. Spread mixture in a baking dish and bake for 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool slightly and serve warm or at room temperature.
- For a nuttier flavor, toast almonds in a 350°F oven on an ungreased baking sheet for 8 to 10 minutes or until light brown.
- Store bars in an airtight container for up to a week.
About the Author: