Today’s recipe is Crockpot Italian Beef Stew, it’s one of my easy crockpot recipes I enjoy making. The food prepping steps go really quickly. Then once it’s in the crockpot it finishes all the work. Just check on your cooking beef stew every so often, giving it a good stir. As the hours go by the smell in the house is amazing. It’s a flavorful dish that I like to pair with noodles.
Although this is not a dump and run recipe. You could probably skip the dredging and pre cook part if you really were pressed for time. You know recipes are easily adapted. I really think that the dredging and partial cooking adds to the flavors by melding the garlic, onions, peppers and floured meat together.
You could even finish cooking this on the stove top but, it would definitely need lots of stirring. You’d need to make sure it doesn’t run out of liquid and use a lid. With all this said, let me share how easy it is to cook this slow cooker beef stew recipe.
Slow Cooker Recipes:
Italian Style Beef Stew
Steps for preparing beef stew:
First Steps For Beef Stew:
- Using a Chef’s knife prepare veggies per recipe directions, set to side.
- Then add the beef, flour, salt and pepper to gallon size plastic bag. Shake until meat is fully coated.
- Heat olive oil in pan and add meat to a large non stick skillet.
Cooking Steps for Beef Stew:
- Cook meat on medium/low heat. Add the garlic and onions.
- Next cook in oil by turning with a spoon as not to scorch. Add a little more oil if needed.
- Add peppers cook 5 minutes on low.
- Add beef broth. Mix together, let cook 5 minutes and pour carefully into your slow cooker.
- Add tomato sauce into slow cooker.
- Fill emptied tomato sauce can half full of Maderia wine add to sauce. About Madeira Wines
- Add half a bag of mini carrots.
Cook on high in the slow cooker about 4 hours. Until meat is tender.
Serve with noodles or a side of potatoes. Printable recipe for Slow Cooker Beef Stew below.
Slow Cooker Recipes:
Italian Style Beef Stew Printable Recipe
Slow Cooker Italian Style Beef Stew
- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs. stew meat lean
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Olive Oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 poblano chili pepper seeded and chopped
- 1/2 bag mini carrots
- 1 tsp. Italian spices
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 1- 14.5 oz. can tomato sauce with green peppers celery and onion (or plain)
- Maderia Wine half a can measure from your emptied stewed tomatoes
- 1-14.5 oz. beef broth
Wash and chop all your veggies keep garlic and onion together in one bowl, add peppers in another bowl.
Take beef from package dump into a plastic baggie with flour, salt and pepper.
Start to heat about 3 tablespoons olive oil.
Add the floured meat mixture to heating pan, then cook a bit.
Turn and add garlic and onions, continue cooking on a med./low heat.
When slightly browned add the peppers cook about 3-5 more minutes.
Then add beef broth. Stir together then add entire pan to the crock pot.
Next add the stewed tomatoes. Use the empty can to measure Mederia Wine half filled into can.
Pour measured Maderia into crock pot.
Add the rest of the spices.
Then add carrots.
Cook on high 4 hours. *see notes
Cook on high at least 4 hours. Check for meats tenderness. If needed cook longer. It will be finished when meat is tender. Serve with noodles or potatoes.