Have you ever wanted to make a dreamcatcher? I had been wanting to create a boho styled dreamcatcher for sometime. Finally I grabbed my craft supplies, and got to it. Today I’m sharing how to make a dreamcatcher with you. When I think of summer I think of open windows, wind blowing, dreamcatchers, and summer crafts. Get ready to get your craft on!
This is a fun craft project that can easily been done as a teen craft. Younger kids could do an easy version without adding webbing or you add the webbing for them, or adding lace doilies on the back of the dream catcher.
You might remember this unicorn diy dream catcher I shared. If not take a peek if you like when your done with this dream catcher post. I know I’ll be making more dreamcatchers. Especially since my cat, and puppy thought this one was pretty enough to pull down, and chew up! That’s why I only have a few cell phone pics of this dream catcher. I guess I’m lucky that I took a few on my cell. Let’s get crafting.
Supplies you’ll need to make a dream catcher
- Embroidery Hoop (any size) or Metal Hoop
- Divine Twine (white/silver) (white/gold) (white/rose gold)
- Feathers ( goose feathers (white/ gold) (pink/white/ gold) (peacock plumage feathers)
- Sewing trims such as cotton lace edging or this cotton lace edging
- pom pom embellishments
- random lace trim embellishments
- satin lace trim (1/4″) or satin lace trim (5/8 “)
- *optional hot glue gun/hot glue sticks
Or grab a dreamcatcher kit
How to make a dreamcatcher
Start by getting out your craft supplies to make a dreamcatcher. Hoop, string, scissors.
Start by wrapping around the string over hoop, tying off a knot. Either hot glue in place or wrap over the knot. Continue wrapping the hoop with the thread, until it’s fully wrapped.
- Tie off a knot, clip string and tuck into wrapped string on hoop.
- Add lace, pom pom lace, satin lace, tied to bottom of hoop.
- Wrap jewelry wire on the tips of the feather, and tie your feather onto the string. Hot glue if needed on back side. * view first image I used red wire so you can see it. It doesn’t show when faced on the correct side. Using gold, copper or silver wire when feather blows wiring will not stand out.
- Repeat above step by adding finished feathers in several places of the bottom of the hoops lace or ribbons.
The glittered feathers are so pretty!
How to Create the Dreamcatcher Webbing
(Rather than explain this part follow a dream catcher web tutorial like this one video tutorial There are so many to pick from on You Tube. There are several ways, and styles to make the webbing. This video tutorial might be one of the easier methods which I shared for the unicorn dream catcher webbing in our unicorn dream catcher diy. It may take a few times to get it right. Mine certainly wasn’t perfect but, the more you make them the better you get. Right? And they don’t have to be perfect to look pretty.
- You can even string beads, and crystals onto the webbing.
- Or you even easier you can use lace doilies hot glued to the back of the hoop. (make sure to get the right size for your hoop)
- When your done. Make a loop with string or stain lace for hanging the dream catcher.
- Shop for DreamCatcher supplies
Where to hang your dreamcatcher
Hang your dreamcatcher nearby where you sleep or over your bed on the wall, a lampshade or bed post. Should your dreams become to active take it down, and lay it down flat until your ready to hang it again. * reference
What do dreamcatchers do?
Good dreams flow through the dream catcher, and bad dreams get caught in the webbing. * reference
History of dreamcatchers
Want to find out about the history of dreamcatchers? DreamCatchers
Have you ever made a dreamcatcher before??