Are you ready to DIY Bookmarks? Make this diy bookmark it’s a fun and easy felt craft. We are sharing how to make a bookmark. We have a free printable bird template for you so you can make your own.
You can make these felt bird bookmarks for your journals, for book page markers and even for homemade gifts. Pair this homemade bookmark with a book, journal or other gift items and it makes a great handmade gift for someone. Do you remember this? diy felt heart bookmark that I made for Valentine’s day.
I haven’t made a new bookmark in a long time. With all the books I have been reading I was ready to make a new one. As a mom, and grandma I always have to set my book down and then pick up where I felt off.
You can make these for
- Handmade Mother’s Day or Father’s Day gift (mom, dad, grandparents)
- A teacher’s gift
- Summer project with tweens
- Teen craft
- Make them for your kids and grab our summer reading log or booklist find them here (DIY Summer Camp) (Daily Planner)
Are giving the bookmark as a gift? Do you need suggestions to go with the bookmarks?
- 30 Book Lover Gifts They Will Flip For
- Kid’s Book A Drop of Hope
- 25 Inspirational Books for Women
- Use the search bar for more ideas (craft books, novels, kids books)
Let’s make the bird bookmarks!
Craft Supplies needed to make one felt bird paperclip bookmark
- Felt sheet or scraps (any coordinating colors of your choosing): tonal colors for each bird, orange, black
- Jumbo paperclip, 80mm, silver
- Fabric scissors
- Printable Bird template
- Glue gun with clear hot glue sticks
- Sewing needle and matching threads
Instructions for how to make a felt bookmark
DIY Bookmark Instructions with step by step images
DIY bookmark steps
- Print off Bird Template – Pattern
- When cutting felt use your fabric scissors, I use my craft-sewing scissors. Pro Tip: Reserve your best sewing scissors for ONLY Fabric! Cutting paper dulls the blades.
- Cut 2 pieces of the small circular eyes in black felt color.
- Next cut 2 pieces of the triangular beak in the orange felt color.
Then cut 2 pieces of the wing pattern in a coordinating tonal felt color (for the ones above I used a brown felt).
The Next Steps
- Cut 2 pieces of the large bird pattern in the main felt color.
- Preheat the hot glue gun.
- Position both sides of the bird pattern facing opposite directions.
Add glue to the back side of the wing just along the top and outer edges as shown and press in place onto the bird. Repeat on the reverse side.
Next, add glue to the back side of the beak and press in place. Repeat on the reverse side.
Then add glue to the back side of the eye and press in place.
Repeat on the reverse side.
Flip the birds so the wrong sides are facing up and glue the main bird pieces together.
Trim any excess felt edges that are misaligned.
How to add the paperclip to the bookmark
Chose a back side since both sides of the bird are the same. Position the jumbo paper clip on the backside of the felt bird underneath the wing.
Using a matching thread color and sewing needle attach the top section of the paper clip to the felt taking care not to stitch through to the other side. The stitching should not be visible on either side. Secure in place. (See how to in video instructions. This is a very simple hand sewing anyone can do.)
When stitched, the bird will swivel up and down with ease.
Mark your place in a book and enjoy! Happy Reading and Crafting!
- New here? Be sure to subscribe
- Pin it for Later
- Follow us on Pinterest
- Felt Crafts Pinterest
- Summer Crafts
- Felt Crafts