Felt Gift Card Holder DIY – Make a gift card holder with this easy sewing project that can be made on the machine or handmade. Grab the step by step instructions below to make your own gift cardholders. Use them for Valentine’s Day Heart Gift Cardholder or anytime you are giving someone a gift card.
Looking for other felt crafts to make? Felt Crafts
Gift Card Holder DIY
If this isn’t the craft project you want to make, see all our Valentine’s Day Crafts.
I thought I would share with you one of the first of a few Valentine’s Hearts gift card holders I am making. I have left the top open to add a gift card to the handmade gift cardholder. Follow the instructions below to make your own gift cardholder.
Felt Gift Card Holder DIY
What you will need to make a gift holder
- Felt or felt scraps
- Satin ribbon
- Sewing machine (or hand sew with a needle and thread)
- Make a heart template. I drew my own but, you can find free heart templates here.
How to make a gift card holder
I used felt material for these but any material could work. Cut your hearts any size bigger than the gift card and allow for stitching on either side.
- Cut your felt into a heart shape (or another shape) by drawing hearts or using a heart template.
- Cut a second heart (or other shape) bigger than the first heart. Use pinking shears for cutting the larger felt heart (or another shape).
- Using a sewing machine stitch (or hand-stitch) sew the two felt hearts (or other shapes)together using an embroidery stitch or other stitch if hand sewing.
- NOTE: You must leave an opening on each side for the gift card to slide into the handmade gift cardholder.
- To cover where no stitches were I added and gift card slides in, add a decorative satin ribbon tied into a simple bow.
- Sew or glue the bow onto the felt.
- Tada! Insert the gift card and give it to someone.
These are super simple to make. You could even sew these by hand if you wish. No pattern is necessary.
This easy sewing project would also be cute in a heart stitch, zig-zag stitch or other decorative sewing stitch that comes on your sewing machine. I decided to put a bow and a button on this one. But, next time I made these I left the button off. I decided I didn’t like it there, ha!
Optional ways to make a gift card holder with cotton fabrics or cardstock paper! You can sew these materials too!
Do you like giving gift cards for Valentine’s Day or other holidays?
Do you like making Valentine’s Day crafts?