Ready for another apple cake? Today’s recipe is for an apple sheet cake. With Halloween and Thanksgiving approaching, not all things need to be pumpkin. Sorry pumpkin lovers, step aside this is for all you fall loving apple lovers! It has a yummy caramel drizzle with nuts. But, you could frost the cake if you prefer. Yum! This is such a moist apple cake you will love it. It says happy fall like nothing else can. Trust me!
Not what you are looking for? Try any of our other easy cake recipes.
It’s super easy to make. I only made a few adjustments to the recipe itself. Then created my own frosting, which is just as easy to make. I kept it a bit thinner as sometimes you just don’t need a thick frosting to compete with the cake. But, you can make the frosting it thicker if you like. Or use a store bought caramel frosting.
This is like cake meets frosting and marries, then lives happily ever after. Ok, well you get the point it’s a match made in heaven.
Apple Sheet Cake
You only need a few simple baking ingredients to make this apple sheet cake and caramel frosting. Most you’ll have in your cupboards. Especially if you love baking! Like I do. I think I have two shelves of baking goods. Do you know what that means? More good recipes will be coming. Wink, wink.
Apple Sheet Cake with Caramel Frosting
Supplies needed for the cake recipe
- exact details listed in the printable recipe
- baking soda
- butter x2 = 1 cup
- shortening I use Crisco
- 2 large apples ( I prefer green for this) = to about 2.25 cups
- dulce de leche *caramel
- powdered sugar
- half and half or milk
- white vinegar
- chopped pecans
Making your own buttermilk easy to so at home and no need to purchase a container for only using half a cup. Take 1/2 cup half n half or milk and add 2 tbsp. of white vinegar stir and wait 15 minutes. Hello, buttermilk!
Now, let’s get to making this recipe. It’s super easy. I used a technique I had never tried before.
With the exception of grabbing shots of what I did on the stove, the steps are shown above for making the cake.
- First, grab all your supplies listed above.
- Then grab your sheet cake/jelly roll pan (mine is this airbake T-fal which I love!)
- The only other things you’ll need are your mixing bowls, spoon, spatula, and hot pads.
Steps For Making Your Apple Sheet Cake
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- Mix together and set to the side
- Put your first 3 ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Flour, sugar, and cinnamon.
- Make your buttermilk mixture and set to the side for 15 minutes. If making vs. purchasing
- Next, grab a pot or non-stick pan.
- You are going to add your butter, shortening and 1 cup water. (This is the part that is different for any other recipe I have made, stick with me here though) You are going to bring these items to a boil, while occasionally stirring.
- Then add the just boiled ingredients into your flour mixture, stir together well.
- Follow by adding the ingredients one by one, until the cake mix is made.
- Take your pre-made or store bought half cup buttermilk and mix it into your bowl as pictured above.
- Next, add your baking soda and mix well.
- Then add your eggs and mix well.
- And lastly your vanilla and mix well
- Fold in your apples, blending well/
- Then add the baking batter into pre-sprayed (PAM) sheet cake baking pan.
- Bake about 20-30 minutes depending on oven/altitude.
- While the cake is cooling make the frosting.
- The frosting recipe is in the printable recipe below.
Apple Sheet Cake With Caramel Recipe
This cake is a crowd pleaser! I hope you enjoy making it.
Looking for other cake, muffin or dessert recipes? Be sure to check out our baking page and Pinterest boards.
New here? Don’t forget to subscribe PS you get a free printable recipe binder!
Recipes with Apples (for baking)
What is your favorite sheet cake or cake recipe?