Today we are sharing an easy chicken recipe for a chicken casserole, we call it Autumn Chicken Casserole. Although, you can make this anytime of year. What I love about this recipe is how easy it is to make.
I have to admit I am not a big casserole person. Except when it comes to homemade macaroni and cheese, maybe a few others and this chicken casserole. You can find all our here recipes or in our recipe index.
What makes this recipe so easy? Mix it in one large bowl by adding all the ingredients and, then pour into your prepared baking dish. Then bake in the oven and serve. We have adapted this recipe several times by using seasonal vegetables. In the summer months using fresh tomatoes (above image) instead of red bell peppers (below image).
Easy Autumn Chicken Casserole
Nothing like an easy p easy meal. You can bake ahead of time if you need to, as it reheats well.
The ingredients are chicken (keep cold until time to add, per instructions for food safety), green and yellow zucchini, and chopped red bell pepper. Prepare your veggies, then toss into bowl. Melt butter in microwave, and pour into same bowl. Next add Panko and Italian Bread Crumbs . Stir ingredients all together. (Click to enlarge above image)
Bake at 400 degrees. While your chicken casserole is baking shred your mozzarella cheese. Then for the final 10-15 minutes of the bake add shredded mozzarella cheese.
What you end up with is a savory and delicious chicken casserole. This recipe is great for any time you don’t mind heating up your oven.
Looking for more easy chicken recipes or chicken casseroles?
- Chicken Enchiladas an older recipe we love that needs images updated. But, has a video to help you make homemade chicken enchiladas. This recipe is easily adapted.
- Easy Chicken Recipes
- Our Easy Chicken Recipes board on Pinterest
Adapted from this Summer Country Crock Recipe: http://www.countrycrock.com/recipes/detail/34953/1/summer-vegetable-chicken-casserole
- 2-3 cloves of crushed garlic
- 2 green zucchini
- 2 yellow summer squash
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1- 1 1/4 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts , cut into chunks
- 6 Tbsp. melted butter
- 1 cups Italian bread crumbs
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 a pound (approx. 3/4 cup) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- preheat oven to 400*
- Chop all veggies and herbs, add to bowl & set to side.
- Crush or mince your garlic, add to bowl
- Pre measure your bread crumbs it can be a combination of both (that is what I had on hand or just Italian bread crumbs (for flavoring) If you use panko or other you will need to add Italian spices approx 1 tbsp.
- Chop your boneless, skinless chicken breasts into chunks add to bowl of veggies/
- Melt butter and add the butter and add bread crumbs into your bowl.
- Mix entire contents well and pour into your pre sprayed (with Pam) baking pan.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Take out of oven with hot pads, to add shredded cheese.
- Return to oven to bake 10-15 minutes longer, until melted
- Make sure chicken is all the way cooked prior to serving. Reaching an internal temp. of 165 degrees. Check by using a meat thermometer.
Do you have a favorite chicken casserole?
Supplies you may need for cooking this chicken casserole recipe.