We love cooking and grilling our hamburger recipes. When we do we typically use ground beef but, for today’s 30 minute recipe we decided to make ground turkey hamburgers. This turkey hamburger recipe is great anytime of year. Perfect nights when you have been busy all day long, carting the kids around or if your looking for back to school recipes, that are made quickly.
Turkey Hamburgers With Green Salsa
We adapted today’s recipe from Rachel Ray Everyday. Her recipe was called Salsa Verde Turkey Burger and published back in 2011. What I loved about this recipe is with the avocado spread you didn’t even know that it wasn’t a ground beef recipe. It’s good to swap ingredients out and go lighter every now and then.
The recipe serves four but, easily can be doubled. Ingredients are ground turkey, avocado, garlic cloves, cilantro, hamburger buns (Rachel Ray used kaiser rolls) and called for salsa verde. I used La Victoria Taco Sauce instead. It’s a green sauce, similar to salsa verde, and what I had on hand.
Avocado Spread for Turkey Hamburgers
First you want to gather your ingredients and spices. Salt, pepper, optional onion salt. Next peel an avocado or two, add them into a bowl. Next add mayonnaise (my favorite is Best Foods) and finely chopped garlic.
We love garlic so we added more, adjust as your family likes it. But, it’s a one avocado to one garlic clove proportion in her recipe. Lightly salt and pepper. Smash the avocados until smooth. Set to side.
Turkey Hamburgers With Green Salsa
Mix ground turkey and salsa, do not overly salsa your ground turkey meat or they will fall apart on you! Shape into hamburger sizes. Add your formed patties into a non stick skillet on a medium-high heat. I used cooking spray lightly on my pan. Cook on each side at least 4-5 minutes depending on their size.
Just as they are done top with sliced cheese. We used Monterey Jack cheese but, you can use pepper jack, sharp cheddar or your favorite. Melt cheese by adding a lid to your skillet.
Toast your hamburger buns. In the oven or toaster. Or leave untoasted if you prefer. I toast my hamburger buns in my toaster. Spread the avocado topping on the bottom of the hamburger bun.
Top avocado with chopped cilantro. Next add turkey burger with melted cheese.
Add lettuce, tomato if you like top and slice.
Serve with your favorite side such as fries or a salad. I’m telling you these are bite after bite, YUM!
- 2 avocados
- 1-3 garlic cloves
- 1lb to 1-1/2 lb. ground turkey meat
- Mayonnaise 1/4-1/2 cup
- 1/4 cup La Victoria Green Taco Sauce or other green salsa
- hamburger buns
- tomato (optional)
- First you want to gather your ingredients and spices.
- Pre wash and dry your lettuce and tomato.
- Next peel an avocado or two, add them into a bowl. Next add mayonnaise (my favorite is Best Foods) and finely chopped garlic at least one per avocado. Add mayo, salt pepper. Smash, mix and set to side.
- In a mixing bowl add ground turkey and green salsa. Mix and shape hamburger patties.
- Cook 4-5 minutes each side in a medium-high heated non stick skillet.
- Add cheese to each burger. Add lid to skillet and melt cheese. Take off heat and place onto toasted buns.
- Toast buns (while burgers are cooking), add avocado spread and cilantro. Top with turkey burger lettuce (and optional tomato). Slice and serve.
- Optional, salt and pepper turkey meat.
New here? Don’t forget to subscribe for all our posts. Bonus, get a free printable recipe binder!
How often do you cook burgers?