Turkey chili recipe – This dinner idea is tasty served with cornbread, over rice, or with tortilla chips… The recipe is made with ground turkey, onions, garlic, black beans, and butternut squash… Top it with your favorite garnishes. My favorites are shredded cheese and sour cream (along with tortilla chips). Yum, yum, yum!
Chili made with ground turkey is the perfect comfort food. Make it to eat anytime you are craving chili. It’s easy to make and healthy. Looking for something else to cook? See all our recipes.
Affiliate links may be included in the post. By clicking the links for qualifying purchases we earn a small commission. This is at no additional cost to you.
Turkey Chili Recipe
I use black beans in this turkey chili recipe or you can use kidney beans (or other canned beans). You can swap butternut squash for an additional can of beans (if you don’t have or like butternut squash).
Chili Recipes To Cook!
- If you prefer making your chili with ground beef try this recipe for Chili with Butternut Squash.
- Or this ground beef Chili Mac Recipe.
- Are you vegan? Try this recipe for Vegan Chili. Perfect for all the veggie lovers.
- Mix it up and make this easy recipe for Chicken Chili Mac. It uses chicken breasts cut up or cubed chicken breasts.
Enjoy any of these homemade chili recipes. Scroll down to print the recipe!
What To Serve With Chili?
We love serving cornbread, rice, and/or tortilla chips and garnishing the chili with shredded cheese and sour cream. Try any of these cornbread recipes.
How To Make Turkey Chili
- 1 pound Ground Turkey
- 1/2 of an Onion
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 prepared package of Butternut Squash
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Chili Powder 1 Tablespoon
- Oregano 1 Tablespoon
- Paprika 1 Teaspoon
- Cumin 1 Teaspoon
- 2 Chicken Bullion Cubes
- Tomato Sauce 1-15 ounce can
- Stewed Tomatoes 1-15 ounce can
- Black Beans 1- 15 ounce can
- Garnishes – Chopped Cilantro or Flat Leaf Parsley, Shredded Cheddar cheese and Sour Cream (optional)
First, prep the vegetables. Peel and chop the onion, wash and chop the bell pepper, crush the garlic with a garlic press. Open and drain the water from the black beans. Set these to the side, until needed.
- Add a little olive oil (or vegetable oil to the bottom of a non-stick skillet like this, or this deep non-stick skillet with lid, or a 4-6 quart covered sauce pot.
- Cook the ground turkey on a medium heat. Use a wooden spoon to crumble any chunks. Cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Push the turkey to the side. Add chopped onion, 2 cloves of crushed garlic and the chopped red bell pepper. Stir as needed (cook until the onions are transulcent). Then stir. mixing it all together.
- Open and add the canned tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, (drained) black beans and prepared butternut squash. Stir together.
- Next, add the bullion cubes (with no water) and spices.
- Add a lid to the pan and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Check on the turkey chili when it’s cooking, covered, and simmering. Stir it as needed.
- If you don’t have a lid you may have to add a little water to keep the chili moist. Be sure to watch it while cooking. It’s best to cover when simmering.
- Remove the cover during the last 5-10 minutes if you want to thicken the chili.
- Make sure the butternut squash is tender (forkable) before serving.
- To make it spicy add a seed diced jalapeno, red pepper flakes, or 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Prepare the cornbread or rice while the chili cooks.
- Top with shredded cheese and sour cream. Enjoy!
Are you craving turkey chili? Print the recipe and add this to your meal plans for the week! Or pin it for later.