Yes, its harvest time at my house. I am getting some lovely produce from the garden so I thought I would share a few recipes I came across. I promise someday to share my homemade spaghetti sauce recipe. You won’t want to miss that one! It is a big hit in my family and a simple meatballs to go with it, yummy! I hope you find time to enjoy cooking as fall rolls in. It is the perfect time of year to get testing out some new recipes! Starting with Pico de Gallo a perfect item to serve with chips or a garnish to top your favorite football dish, chili. And who wouldn’t love a perfect tomato and basil mayonnaise sandwich? Or a Tomato Mozzarella, and Basil Salad. All simple and sure to please you from your tomato harvest or nearest farmers market.
Pico de Gallo
- 1 1/2 cups seeded, diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon diced jalapenos
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves, plus extra for garnish
- Salt and pepper
Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Garnish with additional cilantro.
Tomato Sandwhich with Basil Mayonnaise
- 1 cup good mayonnaise
- 10 to 15 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 slices country loaf bread
- 1 heirloom or Israeli tomato, sliced
Whisk together the mayonnaise, basil, salt, pepper, lemon juice, olive oil and garlic. Spread the mayonnaise mixture on the top of 2 slices of bread. Place the sliced tomato on top of one
bread slice. Place the remaining slice of bread, mayonnaise side down, on top of the tomato. Cut the sandwich in half and serve.
Tomato Mozzarella and Basil Salad
- 6 small tomatoes (4 medium)
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella
- 10 to 15 basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons good olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Slice the tomatoes and mozzarella and arrange casually with the basil leaves on a large platter. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve at room temperature.
I hope you enjoy these recipes & I promise to share our family spaghetti recipe one day!