Are you ready to make a St. Patrick’s Day DIY? We are sharing one of our spring craft ideas, how to make a Frosted Luminary. It has a shamrock but, you can but you can easily adapt this tutorial if you want something different, like a flower shape. You’ll enjoy making, and lighting this frosted luminary DIY. Use it for your St. Patrick’s Day decor.
Frosted Luminary DIY
Frosted St. Patrick’s Day Luminary DIY
Materials List of Supplies
- Wide mouthed glass canning jar
- Mod Podge
- Glitter (white/iridescent and green)
- Black glitter card stock
- Shamrock template printable
- Tealight candle or green Shamrock mini lights
Instructions for creating your luminary
- Begin by cutting the shamrock shape free hand or grab the free printable Shamrock Template. This is slightly different than the free hand one. You can use this one or search here for other 3 and 4 leaf free clover templates.
- Trace the template onto a piece of black glitter card stock and cut it out. You can use just one shamrock, or cut out two, one for each side of the jar.
- Paint mod podge all over the front of your black cardstock shamrock shapes.
- Place the cardstock shamrock with the mod podge on it into the inside wall of the jar with the pod modge side against the jar. Paint some additional mod podge onto the back of the shamrock shape while it is attached to the wall inside of the jar.
- Pour some mod podge into a bowl or other container, and mix in some iridescent glitter as well as some green glitter. We used a lime green colored glitter to keep things light and frosty.
- Dab a small sponge into the glitter mixture and dab off the excess on the side of the bowl. Gently tap the glitter mix onto the jar with the sponge, tapping it along the entire surface, You can do two layers of the glitter mixture on the outside of the jar to create a truly frosty appearance.
- Let the jar dry completely.
- Place a battery operated tealight candle, fairy lights or a battery operated green shamrock mini light set like the one shown in our photo. These small Shamrock light sets can be found at the Dollar Tree.
These images show how it looks not lighted and lighted with the fairy lights.
New here? Don’t forget to subscribe
Pin it for Later
Looking for more St.Patrick’s Day ideas?
- Mini Rainbow Glitter Pots of Gold DIY
- St. Patrick’s Day Cupcake Toppers free printables
- Fun and Delightful St. Patrick’s Day Books
- St. Patrick’s Day Hoop Art
- St. Patrick’s Day Mini Canvas DIY