Dear Creatives, Did you know April has been National Grilled Cheese month? I was given the opportunity to try & create a new grilled cheese recipe using two products I love! How could I not try? Udi’s Gluten Free breads & Horizon Organic Cheese! So let me share what I came up with a Mediterranean Grilled Cheese. This is a super easy recipe I hope you get a chance to try it!
Now I did make the standard grilled cheese for an after school snack with Udi’s white bread & Horizon Colby Cheese, but for the contest I went with some of my favorite ingredients, artichoke hearts & green chili peppers…!
I decided to use the Millet-Chia Bread & Horizon Organic Colby Cheese (which Sammie loves for after-school snacks served with a sliced apple)
I used the Colby cheese which I chopped up.
Then I added diced green chilies mixing them with chopped artichoke hearts. Trust me here!
Now I am laying the foundation of the grilled cheese sandwich with these ingredients, but preparing the bread with butter is key! Using a non stick skillet with a low heat melt the butter (about 1 tbs) and add the bread!
You (newbie cooks) want to brown without burning the butter & bread! Flip over & brown other side lightly. Melt the Colby cheese slowly by using a covered lid on top of one slice. Take the other slice of browned bread out of the pan, spread with cream cheese along with the artichoke & diced green chilies ( about 1tbsp.)
Then top the bread with your melted Colby cheese slice. Completing your ultimate grilled cheese sandwich!
Optional ingredients would be adding chopped black olives or chopped Kalamata olives (my favorite) to cream cheese prior to spreading and topping the grilled cheese with sprouts! This is my Mediterranean Grilled Cheese. Enjoy!
From the links in the disclosure you can go to the main page of the site(s) & grab special offers & coupons!
What does your favorite Grilled Cheese Sandwich have in it?
- Udi's Millet- Chia Bread
- Horizon Colby Cheese Sticks
- Butter (about 1 tbsp)
- Cream Cheese
- Diced Green Chilies
- Canned Artichoke Hearts
- *optional diced black olives or Kalamata olives
- Tools- non stick skillet, spatula, knife & cutting board
- First prep items needed : Open & drain the diced green chilies & artichoke hearts. (*optional drain diced olives) Chop the Colby cheese and artichoke hearts Keeping separate. Take cream cheese & butter out of fridge. Mix artichokes & diced chilies.(add optional black olives if desire ) Use about 1 1/2 tbsp per slice of bread, along with the cream cheese*
- Lightly brown the bread in butter (slowly on both sides) You want to brown without burning the butter & bread! Flip over & brown other side lightly. Melt the Colby cheese slowly by using a covered lid over top of one slice. Take the other slice of lightly browned bread out of the pan, spread with cream cheese along with the artichoke & diced green chilies (&*optional ingredients).
- Then take the top with your melted Colby cheese on your other slice of bread topping the cream cheese mixture.
- Slice in half & serve with a tomato beet salad or your favorite green or Greek salad.
Created for Udi's & Horizon Organic Grilled Cheese Challenge 2012